1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN at it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Sep 13, 2007.

1. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

The ESPNews Bottom Line says Buster Olney reports Terry Ryan is out as Twins GM. Meanwhile, ESPN.com is running this story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

"The 52-year-old Ryan will step down after 12 seasons. The Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing three unnamed sources with the team, first reported the story on its Web site. The Twins have called a news conference for Thursday afternoon to announce a 'major' reorganization of their baseball operations."

I used to want to work for the WWL, but stuff like this pisses me off.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Web-site: honest.

Visual electronic media: self-abuse.

It never ends.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure they're disappointed

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

Well, technically they're not wrong. Buster Olney is reporting it just like dozens of others.

He just wasn't first.

It's misleading, unethical and unprofessional but that's the way this business works these days. Everyone wants to put their stamp on news.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry Bob, but "misleading, unethical and unprofessional" is not "the way this business works these days."
    It's the way ESPN works and I am not in the same "business" as ESPN.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Constantly lifting their legs on stories like Irish setters, putting the singer's name ahead of the song, what really does that accomplish? Does it make more people inclined to watch ESPN than already do so? Or make those who do watch want to watch more often? Does it make any difference if the average sports fan knows who Buster Olney or Ric Bucher is?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely the latter. It's blanket coverage. They're putting their name on it. So if anything breaks, people just gravitate to ESPN because they have these (perceived) resources breaking stories left and right.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just once I'd like to see when an ESPN writer gets fired that he/she reports of their own demise. Talk about the ultimate third person reference.

9. rgd

rgd Guest

I'd post a photo of someone beating a dead horse if I had one.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

OK then...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You can still work for WWL (it's a AM station, an FM station and a TV station in Louisiana) and not put up with this crap.

Or, to put another way: Why if we're ripping on ESPN, do we call it the WWL?

12. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Maybe I should have put WWL in blue...

Draft saved Draft deleted