1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN and the Sandusky sex case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

ESPN partner ABC News just led off its evening news with this story, and one of its reporters went to Sandusky's house and asked him questions. He seemed nice, but didn't answer questions based on advise of his attorney. Given the chance to say the charges were false, he declined.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

No matter the situation, one would be incredibly stupid to speak to reporters after being charged with a crime. You have nothing to gain. Even if you're being truthful about denying it, no one will believe you. All you can do is say something foolish the prosecutor can hold against you later. Best to let your attorney handle any communication.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hate to say I called it, but, "See Spot run" journalism at its finest ...

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

JoeLa is absolutely correct about JoePa. If this isn't the first question on Tuesday's Big Ten teleconference, the questioner should be fired.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think it's pretty much accepted these days that Yahoo! Sports is yards ahead of the journalism curve than ESPN will ever be. That should be nothing new.

To the poster who said you can't take anything ESPN does seriously these days? That's right on.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

But, they're comfortable in their own skin.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I have to agree with everything SF has said so far

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Credit where due...ESPN had Jeremy Schaap at State College tonite on SportsCenter, and he was excellent.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yahoo runs laps around ESPN in sports journalism. ESPN has other interests. End of story.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since everything I wrote has been mischaracterized ...

A.) I know there are no bad night editors at ESPN.com because unless there has been MASSIVE turnover, I worked with every freaking one of them 18 months ago.
    B.) Saying ESPN rotates its stories ISN'T saying the others don't. It's saying when you have one main story spot and it has to be used to promo a game during live action, then yes, that big story has to come down. David Stern could have died, but LSU-Alabama would have been in that main spot.
    C.) The point I made about the headlines stands. There's a tone to hit there, and YES you have to have the video icon. You don't even choose to use it. It's automatic. So yes, could the headline have been better? Absolutely. It always can be. But the OP (or whomever I was responding to back then) offered up a like 12-word headline as how it was done elsewhere and should have been done here. I was MERELY pointing out that that wouldn't work in that spot.

ALSO to clarify: I'm not blindly defending ESPN here. Hell, you can ask my ex-boss how many decisions that were made there I didn't agree with. But it's so easy to just throw shit against the wall with ESPN, and I'm just trying to shed some light as to how/why it could have happened. I haven't defended anything, just tried to explain how it could happen.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Give it up, please. If you can't write a headline in 40 characters, you don't belong on any copy desk anywhere. I wouldn't accept that excuse at a student newspaper. There's no confusion there.
    I'll grant you we're making too big of a deal out of one headline. (ESPN writes a lot of bad headlines.) I only jumped in because your reason was ridiculous.
    The bigger issue is ESPN's reluctance to jump in. But as I noted earlier, if you've been paying attention the past decade, it's not really much of a surprise. They have their thing. This ain't it.
    They don't report. They put people in front of cameras to talk about it, spin it, argue it, etc.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They've had one that was worth morth more than a kettle of warm spit, and she was roundly ignored.

Draft saved Draft deleted