1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN and the Sandusky sex case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Nov 6, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Badger fans were there before the Nebraska game, about 12-13 hours early.

2. Watcher

Watcher New Member

Are you kidding? They will start lining up hours before the broadcast. Even in below-freezing temps. I've been there and seen it. And there will be a Washington State flag flying too.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this, but I was shocked to see the new SI with nothing on Penn State. It seems they had enough time to get something in.

4. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Phil Taylor wrote his Point After about it.

5. Guy_Incognito

Didn't get there yet & it's not mentioned on the cover. If you claim to be the premier sports magazine, and a story of this magnitude happens in time for you to get an essay on it, how can you not cover it? They're going to chime in 10 days late?

6. Quakes

Quakes Guest

That's a fair point. I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing that they do have something on it. And it's not a bad column, I think, although we've now read similar sentiments from lots of people over the last few days. (Strangely, the little preview box of the week's big college football games includes Nebraska-Penn State, but makes no mention of this story.)

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bet SI will have something in the coming weeks that's very, very good. Not sure what I would have expected from an issue that would have gone to bed late Monday/early Tuesday.

8. Guy_Incognito

You guys know more about this than I do, but when on Wednesday/Thursday you get SI, with a normal looking college basketball preview, with no mention of Penn. St. on the cover, it reinforces the perception that it is an obsolete form of media. Even if all you can do is the Taylor essay and a note in the notebook, I think you still have to trash your regional covers for each of the top 8 teams & put Paterno's face on the cover.

9. I think hindsight is 20/20 on this one. Perhaps the programming was done initially before anyone read that grand jury report. The coverage got better as it became more clear how serious this was. Other than Yahoo (who I think jumped all over PSU with scathing columns almost immediately) everyone was a bit light on the Sunday following the revelations.

Easy to bash ESPN and assume the worst, but they picked up the pace by Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted