1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN and the NFL, sitting in a tree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Apr 11, 2007.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I'm glad ESPN had a two-hour live show on the NFL sked. It put me to sleep and I had a nice afternoon nap. That's ridiculous that they have a two hour show on that. People just care about who their teams are playing and when. We don't need to be told what are the best games to watch. We just want to watch our team.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You've certainly changed your tune regarding ESPN.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree, a two-hour show seems bizarre.

But there's no question that reader/viewer interest is there. Every NFL town's paper will have the schedule on the sports front tomorrow, and as I drove through mine today the local sports radio honks were all doing their rundown, the utterly worthless "we'll win there, lose here, beat them, beat them, lose to them ... and finish 12-4."

The NFL as a 365/24/7 story ain't going away. I just choose to acknowledge it for about half that time.

4. I didn't watch it, but I'm just envisioning how it could be played out. They could set it up like a draft with 17 rounds for each week of the season then give 15 minutes to each team projecting who they will play then analyzing what the matchup will be like.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one cares.

6. The NFL Network is owned by the NFL, so it has worse reporting than ESPN. They sure took a lot of time to talking about Pacman's crime spree didn't they?

7. mesoanarchy

mesoanarchy New Member

ESPN has taken to extending its draft and schedule "specials" since NFLN's popularity skyrocketed. As always happens when reacting to competition, ESPN's coverage of both has cheapened.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sadly, I missed the NFL Network and ESPN specials on schedules. I just had to look up the Steelers' schedule moments after I learned the schedules were out. Maybe next time.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I bet they did decent numbers, too. ESPN.

Too bad. A reward for overkill.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

These comments are more evidence that the media is out of touch. People eat this shit up. The story on the Browns schedule was the top-of-the-page story on The Plain Dealer's sports front. King football indeed! What the hell else was ESPN going to put on in the middle of the afternoon, cheerleading championships? It's not like they preempted anything for it.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I didn't realize it was in the middle of the day.

Hell, at that time I would have ran it 3 hours. :)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And don't you just love the three cupcakes Tomiln starts with? Thank you NFL.

Then again, a road loss to the Brownies to start the season would rip my heart out.

Draft saved Draft deleted