1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN and Poynter event in St. Petersburg, FL, Jan. 28

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by h20angel, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I don't have a problem with the event taking place, just don't go there expecting to get anything practical out of it. Reminds me of a college lecture class in Sociology of Sport that just has people giving random opinions and big-picture ideas that don't work or have any relevance to reality. Yeah, it will be entertaining and you'll meet interesting people, but that's about it.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

THIS is the problem.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Will Vince Doria attend to offer how to blow off reader feedback for bad ideas?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's utterly

bizarre.

I'll accept an inside answer at face value, but must ask . . . did ESPN insist on
    exclusivity?

5. h20angel

h20angel New Member

It's not limited to ESPN, anyone can attend and ask questions to join the conversation. So, some of the local media outlets will be coming. Poynter may also open it up to a virtual audience so you all could bring up these issues or ask questions.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks, but to follow up . . .

My reference was to the composition of the panel.

I'll hang up and listen.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

are we sure this is really happening? I have yet to see an ESPN scroll saying Ed Werder or John Clayton are reporting that ESPN will take part in this event. it's not really news unless the WWL reports it, correct?

8. h20angel

h20angel New Member

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

AGAIN . . . will the entire panel be comprised solely of ESPN talent?

Given how this question is being ducked, I'd presume yes . . .

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Whoa. Wait a minute. :eek:

CHARGING for something on the Internet? Something related to journalism? Not just giving it away for free?

What a concept!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could somebody record the seminar and then post it on a BLOG! or YouTube for free?

Because that would be awesome.

12. I will ask this again.
    Why should I believe I will learn anything about the subject under discussion from any of those panelists?

Draft saved Draft deleted