1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN already comparing Celtics to 95-96 Bulls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm tired of all the talk like this, getting opinions on hypotheticals. I'm still looking forward to that USC/LSU BCS game.

I remember growing up and listening to talk show callers asking moronic questions and making idiotic unproveable statements and the sports talk host yanking them off the air. I now know those callers have all gotten jobs as ESPN producers.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Agreed. Where's Bob Kemp when you need him?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And didn't ESPN already "play out" the entire 2007 NFL season?

And while this is somewhat off topic, having finally finished the ESPN and SI NBA previews it seems there are only four categories of NBA player: gonna be a star in this league; needs another shot to be great; on the downside and finally, done.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No, no, no! The real question is whether South Florida should get in the BCS championship game if they go undefeated. Granted this argument was raging on ESPN when they were 6-0 and they've lost twice (I think) since then, but that doesn't matter because Skip Bayless needed something to debate with Two Live Stews on Cold Pizza.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As I mentioned, I got a new Helio, so you can download video clips from ESPN, Fox Sports and the like. So today I'm watching a blip on ESPN and who's waxing "wisdom" on the NBA (and Celtics)? Sean Salisbury. Umm, yeah, I want to hear a washed-out quarterback's "opinion" on why the Celtics are this, that or the other. The two women he was talking with weren't much better.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

The Bulls were already a championship team at that point. Has anyone on the Boston roster ever won anything?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But, but, but Garnett made Game 7 of the Western Conference finals!

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Stephen A is annoying, but he's more intelligent about basketball than both of those two combined.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa whoa.

Walton may not come across the best, but he did play for Wooden.

You know, John Wooden. UCLA. Greatest coach who ever lived. Walton won three titles with him, so I guess some hoops acumen was passed along.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

1974, Walton's senior year, they lost in the semi's to NC State. Walton won two titles.

[blue] But it still couldn't come close to SAS's hoops knowlege.[/blue]

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Basketball may be Stephen A's strongest area, but even there he's nothing special. Listen to one of his long spiels sometime and then try to put your finger on one thing he told you that wasn't obvious or that you didn't already know. With him, it's not what he says that makes him successful, it's how he says it.

As for Walton, he has impressive credentials, but there's no evidence of it in his commentary. And boy, does he make premature judgments. I'll never forget that a couple games after the Knicks traded for Marbury, he said that they were the best team in the East. Now, everybody makes mistakes, but he's not nearly as insightful as you'd expect an ex-Bruin and Celtic to be.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My apologies to David Thompson.

Walton blasts out so much that he is bound to be wrong some of the time, but he at least will make you think.

Bill Russell was the same way.

A. Smith is awful.

I get more, and better, insights on basketball waiting for next game at my rec center.

Draft saved Draft deleted