1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Ads Target Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, May 2, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did not see this anywhere else on SJ, ect ect
    If the MODs want to take down ect , ect. Thought it would be a
    good fit as sports journalism topic since it involves ESPN.
    Please stay away from politics, ect ect.

Found this note in Politico pretty interesting and wonder if its money well spent or wasted:

BREAKING THROUGH -- "Winning over Obama with ESPN," by Anna Palmer : "Companies and trade associations are ... buying up airtime on ESPN. Media strategists tell POLITICO they offer up the all-sports network as an option to clients who want to get their issues in front of Obama and top White House officials, known as big sports fans and rabid ESPN watchers. 'It's certainly a tactic that's talked about a lot,' said one media strategist, who had a client advertise on ESPN in hopes of reaching Obama during the climate change debate of his first term. ... The strategist said the ads can't be so obvious that Obama knows he's the intended audience. ... Microsoft ... took to 'Monday Night Football' to bash Google as part of its 'Scroogled' campaign. The ad ran locally at least twice during the Washington Redskins and New York Giants game in December. Scroogle ads are also running on ESPN now in D.C.... Local ad buys on ESPN in D.C. range from around $750 to $1,000 per spot and at the national level could be in the $15,000 to $20,000 range ...

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Who watches commercials anyway?

3. Boom_70

I don't specially when watching sporting events. I use the time to catch up on reading which is likely what they do in Washington also.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people really do, especially today when many probably already have a smartphone/tablet etc. on their lap while watching TV. During a game, commercials are snack/restroom etc. break time.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty amazing ESPN has found advertisers who believe the President of the U.S. can't use the remote. I mean, I was no fan of George W. Bush, but I'm sure he was more than capable of switching to another game when commercials came on.

6. Boom_70

That's a great point. There sure are some gullible people out there who should be
    in a position to know better.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Outside of the Super Bowl when you are specifically watching commercials because it is sort of a tradition - do you really watch commercials? And do you really remember what is actually being advertised?

I know I don't - I go right to another channel during commercials.

I know the market research must suggest people are still influenced by commercials, but they seem to be overpriced and outdated as a means of advertising.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Most of the market research, though, says the one place that ads still carry weight is on live sports. Other than some special occasion like the Oscars or election night, sports is the only thing people watch in real time -- most people prefer that to going the DVR route.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And yet everyone seems to know instantly when a funny commercial is introduced, or a controversial one or whatever. When someone mentions the hot chick in the [INSERT PRODUCT NAME HERE] commercial, everyone seems to know exactly who they're talking about. On the NCAA tournament thread, just as an example, there were numerous posts about the Charles Barkley/Alec Baldwin ads, the annoying kids ads, the girl flashing the camera in the Direct TV ads, the Bud Light blind date girl, etc.

Clearly, someone is indeed still watching commercials. Even some of the ever-so-hip people who post here.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Outside the Super Bowl, I make it a point to practically always dvr a game, at least a half hour ahead. NBA or NCAA needs a huge headstart. There is no need to watch commercials.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I watch all the ads, because that's what's paying for the sport I watch.

Same on the Internet.

(Clicking on the Sprint ad)

12. mythirdalt

mythirdalt Member

I've seen that good Hyundai commercial a bunch of times, with the kids challenging each other in football. I didn't think I watch commercials, but I guess I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted