1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN adds comments; hilarity ensues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess the suits at ESPN didn't expect the BLOGS! to send their readers en masse to take over the just launched comments section...

http://deadspin.com/sports/espn/the-day-espncom-stood-still-233337.php

2. statrat

statrat Member

I saw this yesterday and immediately dropped to my knees and uttered a prayer of thanks. Now I can rip on Scoop on his employer's web site! FANTASTIC!

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I saw this, too. Simmons' quote page was hilarious the other day, half of the people ripping him, half defending him.

Smart move by the WWL. The hits will increase for sure.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the 'Independence Day' bit:

Good morning. In less than an hour, commenters from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest comment board battle in the history of the internets. "Internets." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the First of February, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from the WWL. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the First of February will no longer be known as a Deadspin holiday, but as the day the ebays declared in one voice: "Our comments will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!" We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Underground Day!

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Adding comments might, might, be enough to turn me back into a regular Page 2 reader.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This one killed me:

Jason Whitlock crushes Scoop Jackson like he crushes sofas.

7. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

how about putting an ad inside the headlines box on the home page?

ESPN.com sucks

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

is it just a matter of time before another portion of espnnews' screen is taken over by comments? can you just see a continual crawl of comments?

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Could definitely see this happening, as absurd as it seems.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Didn't MTV do that at one point back it showed music videos?

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Don't laugh. This happens in Canada during a one-hour show called PrimeTime Sports. Viewers can pay whatever cents per minute to text their comment onto the crawl.

Draft saved Draft deleted