1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN 3D

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paper Guy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4796555

Didnt see this anywhere -- if it is, feel free to kill the thread.

I don't really have many thoughts on the new ESPN 3D, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. The experiment didnt really work in Dallas (or so I read). Most ESPN ventures work out, but I wonder how many people will want to put on 3D glasses to watch the BCS championship game...

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Using 3D glasses at the IMAX or whatever gives me a headache. Count me out.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This should go over about as well as the time the boys in ESPN marketing thought it would be a bright idea to market branded cell phones.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Stick to the baseball threads, cranberry. That is some serious cluelessness.

This is not a goofy marketing scheme like branded cell phones. It's something the TV industry has been working on for years. Once HD became reality, the technogeeks (and I say that with respect) started asking, "What can we create next?" I'm somewhat surprised FOX isn't first, because it has been a huge champion of 3D TV. David Hill said this might save boxing, although it may be too late.

I know our guys have been to a couple of seminars about it. Not sure of the specifics: what your tv needs to make it work; what glasses you have to wear, etc -- but do know they said it looks spectacular. In a lot of ways, ESPN is testing this for everyone else.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

DirecTV launched another another bird last week specifically to add 3DHD capacity and will add 3D support to its converter boxes via a software upload soonish.

You'll still need a 3DHD TV and glasses to view the programming, but the new TVs are in the pipeline for the spring.

http://hdguru.com/directv-to-launch-a-3d-channel-hd-guru-exclusive/1201/
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/DirecTV-HD-3D-Channel-Satellite,news-5445.html

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How feasible is 3D in the home in the next, say, 10 years? I would love it. But everything I've seen indicates it takes way too much equipment. So it's either the movieplex or a Shaq-style home theater system that costs about $20,000.

I know prices come down and I assume that if the technology exists already, it can be refined. I just wonder how soon.

7. cranberry

Great. it will still be a failure.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Who knows? 20 years ago, who would have imagined that HD technology would become so great that some sports fans would favor the home-theatre experience over live games?

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

Could be cool. I'm curious to see it. But I suspect it's a long way from perfection. I saw that ESPN X-Games 3D movie this summer (in a theater) and there were a couple cool shots but after 15 minutes, it started to look kind of 2-dimensional. In other words, it was really easy to distinguish the foreground from the backdrop. I don't know if the eyes eventually adjust to the trickery or what...

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'd pay to watch next year's BCS title game at an IMAX theater. Unless it's Boise State. Then screw it, it doesn't count.

11. cranberry

Nobody knows, of course, and (as Elliotte so eloquently pointed out) I'm clueless about technologies, but I can't see this gaining critical mass anytime soon. Just because an industry is investing in something doesn't mean it will be successful as a product. It's their job to invent new things and try and try to part people from their money. 3-D has been around since the '50s (earlier, really) in movies and the progress has been extremely slow. Consumers, not industries or marketers, will make the final decision.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'll say this: After watching Avatar on Sunday in 3D, I can see this taking off. It really is a transcendent experience done correctly, which of course will be the key. Conversely, I saw Up in 3D as well, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't add that much to the experience.

Eventually, 3D *will* become the gold standard, because we've been waiting for it pretty much as soon as the Dumont Network went on the air. Whether it's this rendition that makes it, or if it takes 500 years and countless failed experiments, it'll happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted