1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors: should I point them out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

A college nearby is looking for someone to put together its quarterly alumni magazine, among other duties. An ad in the newspaper leads the reader to the on-line ad, which has a more in-depth position description. Thing is, I found three errors in the on-line ad. Two were subject-verb agreement, and the other included incorrect usage of our friend the apostrophe.
    Should I point out these errors in my cover letter, or should I just let it slide?

Please advise.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Let it slide. If the duties include EDITING the quarterly magazine, point out the errors in the interview. Then again, I've been at the same paper for close to 18 years so I'm not one to give cover letter/interview advice.

3. captzulu

captzulu Member

I'd say don't mention it in the cover letter, since it's supposed to be about you and it'd be hard to work pointing out errors into that flow, not to mention that it could come off as unintentionally snarky.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Don't point them out in the cover letter. You would likely offend them. If you get the gig, you can correct errors, not before.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Saw a job ad recently saying there was a mistake in the copy. If you found the error, you would get to the interview stage.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That reminds me of those Google billboards from a couple years back. They had some extremely complex formulas and other ideas with the result leading to a Web site, and then by visiting that Web site they invited the individuals to apply as a technician with their company. Pretty brilliant stuff, in my mind.

But yeah, don't point it out in the cover letter, unless you tried something along the lines of "Why am I the best candidate for the editor position? Well, for starters, I notice three errors in your ad alone. Not only that, but ..." Don't come off like too much of a hotshot. With my experience, people that don't know how to spell or use correct grammar are incredibly defensive about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted