1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors Cast Doubt on Matt McCarthy’s Baseball Memoir

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 2, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't people realize that if you say things that aren't true -- and are provably untrue -- you're going to get caught

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/sports/baseball/03book.html

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, this author is a douche:

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

My memoir on my newspaper career will include passages about all the times that management stepped up to make sure the product improved, about how they were fair to their employees with deserved raises and bonuses and how I worked happily and was content with my job until it was time to retire.

Fact check that, suckah.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chuck Barris had the right idea. I think there is a reason they call it a "memoir" and not an autobiography or non-fiction.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Everybody remembers stuff that didn't happen. It's how our minds work.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well,
    Well, the author claims to have taken notes all summer. And he got *a lot* of stuff wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/sports/baseball/03bookside.html?ref=baseball

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Then maybe he should quit relying on his memory when he's writing a book, and do some fact-checking before he puts any words to paper. You know, like a real author.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm just saying it was likely lazy, not malicious.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Maybe getting some of the dates and stats wrong was just lazy, but there's a lot of stuff that can't be explained away so easily. When you quote a guy telling you how much he misses his kids and the guy didn't have any kids at the time, that's not lazy, that's making shit up.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Surely sounds like another "Even if it's not true . . . if it reads better, run with it."

Shame on SI, while we're at it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So there are no ethics where this book is concerned, eh?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66827/

12. In Exile

In Exile Member

Ditto on SI. Even if their excerpt checked out, they were apparently aware there were problems with the rest of the book, but chose to ignore that fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted