1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Pyle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Richard Pyle can write a damn fine story and he did so with this one. I read Ernie Pyle in high school and chanced up on two books, one collecting his reporting from World War II, but the other was a collection of his reporting from the 1930s covering America. He'd get in the car with his wife and travel up and down the country writing stories. It is an amazing read particularly one about a ship captain visiting Norfolk, Virginia, who remarked that he'd been there before during World War I. He was a U-Boat commander and -- forgive my memory if this is not totally correct -- rowed ashore to pick up a newspaper and grab a bite to eat.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's a posed body. No doubt about that.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, CSI Simon.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

As a gift to myself after college, I purchased the two book set called "Reporting World War II." In the second volume, Evan Wylie writes on the death of Ernie Pyle.

Wylie wrote: "Army Signal Corps photographer Cpl. Alexander Roberts of New York City proceeded them and was first to reach the body. Pyle lay on his back in a normal resting position. His unmarked face had the look of a man sleeping peacefully. He had died instantly from a bullet that penetrated the left side of his helmet and entered the left temple. His hands folded across his chest clutched his battered cap, said to be the one he carried through his previous campaigns. The litter-bearers placed the body on the stretcher and worked their way slowly back along the ditch under sniper fire. The battle for Ie Shima still remained to be won."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Hands being in contact with each other after a fall is the giveaway

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Who says he fell?

7. Simon_Cowbell

I hadn't accounted for his being executed as he slept.

Good point.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The account I read said Pyle was in a jeep with others when they came under fire. The others jumped from the jeep for cover, Pyle lifted his head and was shot. But it was unclear whether he was in or out of the jeep.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible the body was move and "staged" that way by other soldiers but the photo was legit, you know.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Oh... absolutely.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Simon, is there anything of which you're not overly critical?

Draft saved Draft deleted