1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Harwell says goodbye to Tigers fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Must have been quite a moment. They stopped the game and Ernie Harwell came out and addressed fans.

The columns:

Bob Wojnowski:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090917/OPINION03/909170391/1004/Ernie-Harwell-s-farewell-comes-amid-tears-and-cheers

Michael Rosenberg:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090917/COL22/909170604/1048/sports/Fans-will-hear-Harwell-forever

Drew Sharp:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090917/COL08/909170590/1048/sports/Bless-you--Ernie

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also posted this on the baseball thread, here's a link to a Steve Kornacki column. It also has video of Harwell's short speech in the third inning.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2009/09/in_the_face_of_death_ernie_har.html

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Growing up on the West Coast, I didn't get to hear Harwell until he started doing the radio network games for the World Series. What a treat. Harwell is simply one of the all-timers.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff from all those columnists. And that video...pure class. What an icon.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ernie still sounds strong. Will be a sad day indeed when he passes.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

His voice is pure baseball ... just perfect chords and cadence for the boys of summer.

I met him once when I was a cub (not Cubs) reporter and he was quite gracious. My friend and I did a baseball road trip and we had press credentials at Comerica. My friends dad grew up a Tigers fan and ADORES Ernie Harwell.

As we walked through the press box before the game, Ernie left his booth to grab a drink or something and we walked almost smack into him. My friend told him how much his father loved growing up listening to him and how he was going to be jealous that his son got a chance to meet him. I don't even really remember exactly what Ernie said in response - I think he just thanked him for the kind words and said he was blessed to have a job he loves - but seeing him speak and hearing his voice, all I could think of was, "THAT'S how a radio announcer should sound."

Definitely one of the highlights of my young career.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Couldn't believe how good he looked walking out on the field. He's 91 and dying of cancer and he's walking like a healthy 70-year-old.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I can't think of anyone in Michigan, from any walk of life, who is more beloved than Ernie.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Great anecdotes from Brandon Inge about being the only current Tiger to have played while Harwell was the broadcaster.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links -- both to the video and to the Sharp column.

When snow, mud and cold was all around me during my time in upper/northern Michigan, the voice of Ernie over the airwaves told me that despite the weather, summer was on its way. A great announcer (even though the Tigers were horrible then) and, from all accounts, a great, done-to-earth gentleman.

His voice still sounds strong, and despite his physical woes, he seems to be very strong spiritually. I wish him the best in whatever time he has left.

11. Yeah, well Bo sure fucked that up in the early 90s. I hope he's rotting in hell.

12. Here's to Ernie from a White Sox fan. You're still the man, Ernie.

Draft saved Draft deleted