1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Harwell: Save Tiger Stadium!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Detroit is a city that is in ruins. It is a shame. There was so much there, and it's like the Berlin Wall -- everyone came and stripped every piece that they could. There's basically nothing left now.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sadly, this is true. And well said, Starman.

I grew up in that stadium. I was at the last game. I've driven been often since then. It's in absolute ruin.

Apparently, according to a story on MLB.com a while back, there are still some seats in the stadium worth saving - and selling.

I'm all for flattening the place, but not until I've purchased two seats from the corner of Michigan and Trumble.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why was the stuff not sold off to begin with?

4. Pete Incaviglia

As far as I know, it was owned by either Illitch or the City of Detroit. And both were hoping to save everything for whatever reason (take you pick: museum, independant league baseball park, novelty, shopping centre, whatever).

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The stadium is owned by the city; until 2005, Ilitch had unconditional control over what (if anything) was done with it. Ilitch has never had any interest whatsoever in converting the stadium, or the site, for any alternative use (ESPECIALLY not an independent-league minor league park), and in fact has moved to block all such plans.

The memorabilia (seats, etc.) has not been removed/sold because of inertia and a moronic belief on the part of the city that the items would "appreciate" in value over time, so they wanted to drag out the process as long as possible. As stated above, most of the truly valuable items have been destroyed by weather/neglect and, in many cases, vandalism, and are now effectively worthless.

The one thing that should REALLY be done before they flatten the place is they need to make a movie about Bobby Layne and the rollicking Detroit Lions championship dynasty (yes you read that correctly) of the 1950s.

6. Pete Incaviglia

VERY good call, Starman!

I never thought of that aspect of the Stadium (or Lions, for that matter!).

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What a shame. Of all of the old stadiums I've been to (haven't been to a game at Fenway), Tiger Stadium was my favorite. I liked it much more than Wrigley.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It will be a shame if all the old stadiums get levelled at some point. They really do offer a glimpse into our past. When I was in Comiskey Park, I always could feel or sense the past of Ruth, Jackson or Veeck having played/worked there.

I know the land these stadiums are built on are worth a lot more if something else is there. But, it sure would be nice if maybe just one of the old ballparks was maintained almost as a museum piece for baseball of the first half of the 20th century.

Wishful thinking, I know.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just wait for the Armageddon which will ensue if the Cubs ever move out of Wrigley. :eek: :eek:

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Most memorable baseball game I ever attended was a World Series game at Tiger Stadium ('84 against the Padres).

However, this discussion reminds me of the handwringing over the fate of Maple Leaf Gardens after the boys had a parade down Yonge St and moved to the Air Canada Centre.

The Gardens was a dump. Small seats, crappy concessions and troughs in the men's washrooms.

It's been empty since it closed (1999?) and plans are to turn it into a grocery store. Nobody even thinks about it any more.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Same if the Sox ever try to move out of Fenway. It's actually a decent place to watch a ballgame now that they've put some money into making the place look decent.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And I thought the Gardens were going to be used by the junior team at one point? Thought the latest plan for it was condos or apartments or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted