1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Harwell: Save Tiger Stadium!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 22, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Couldn't agree more with the man. Such places like Tiger Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc... need to be preserved. So much history occurred in the confines of these building that it is shameful to even consider knocking them down. Harwell spits out some great quotes in this piece, but I think it's best that everyone reads them first within the story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2985962

2. I hope I can make it to 89. And if I do, I hope I'm as sharp as Ernie Harwell.

It would be too much to ask, probably, but a guy can dream.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

To call the plan a PR gimmick is a stretch, but I will say this: Why have no other reasonable plans come up previously? It's not like Old Comiskey, which they knocked down almost right away. Tiger Stadium has been closed almost eight years and used a handful of times, for 61* and then for the All-Star Game a couple years ago.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Harwell and lawyer S. Gary Spicer propose reducing Tiger Stadium's seating while adding music and sports memorabilia museums.

[blue]Yeah, that'll work.[/blue]

Reminds me of the old movie, Roger and Me - when Flint, Michigan tried to turn things around by opening a vacation center.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Tear it down. It was a dump long before it closed. Half of the seats sucked because they were behind posts.

6. The elimination of posts and the increase of luxury boxes is why upper deck seats are now six miles from the field in modern ballparks.

As for Tiger Stadium, Detroit is bleeding population every second. Land is not a scarce commodity, so I'm not sure why there is such an urgency to knock down the stadium for "redevelopment" purposes. That said, maintenance costs alone might make it costly for it to just sit there.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I thought Tiger Stadium was in great shape, even when it closed - it's in much better shape than Yankee for example. I'd really like to see it preserved if possible.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's the problem: The city hasn't put the money into the stadium. It's now in hideous condition.

Budweiser held an event there when the All-Star Game was at Comerica. They wanted to use the structure itself, but the city only let them use the infield, since the building was in such bad shape.

Even after the automotive industry's downturn, there still are plenty of people in Oakland and Wayne counties who have money and could support a stadium preservation effort. Problem with Detroit is that most of the money flows out of the city, not into it.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'll always remember being pissed in '87, when I was 24 and paid what was then pretty big money for playoff tickets only to be stuck behind a freaking pole when I was only about 20 rows up. Couldn't see the mound. It was the game Darrell Evans got picked off third base against Minnesota. Tear it down.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The stadium was allowed (in fact, actively encouraged) to go to rot after about 1986-87, when then-owner Tom Monaghan decided he wanted the taxpayers to build him a new stadium. In order to get this done, being able to cite the ever-more-decrepit condition of Tiger Stadium was necessary.

Mike Ilitch continued this strategy after buying the team and finally succeeded in 1999-2000. After Comerica Park was built, Ilitch's company, Olympia Entertainment, received a yearly sum of $400,000 of city money for "security and maintenance" on Tiger Stadium, presumably to keep it in somewhat-usable condition for renovation projects. This $400,000 came out of a fund of $2 million, which was exhausted at the end of 2005.

The "security and maintenance" efforts mainly consisted of putting padlocks on the doors, walking away, and cashing the $400,000 checks every year. The physical condition of the stadium is simply rotting away. Vandals quickly busted past the padlocks and have stolen/destroyed virtually every single item in the stadium which might have been useful as memorabilia. The fabric-covered "Tiger Den" seats (with Olde English 'D' symbols) have all been chopped to pieces by vandals.

There is nothing left of the stadium now. It needs to be nuked tomorrow morning. The City of Detroit, mismanaged by an incompetent corrupt thug mayor in Kwame Kilpatrick, has barely enough money to turn on the lights at city hall. I suppose if the city agrees to pay Ilitch $2 million more, he'll be happy to have it done.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Star,
    You're giving thugs a bad name by lumping them in with Kwame...

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I play my part, Kwame plays the game... :eek: :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted