1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Harwell is amazing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A short story, but pretty incredible:

http://www.freep.com/article/20091202/SPORTS02/912020446/1050/NLETTER03/Ernie-joins-Tram-Gibby-on-stage?source=nletter-sports

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Incredible? Really? I don't mean to be snarky, but what's so incredible about it?

I met him once at Comerica and found him to be graceful, distinguished and humble. But this doesn't strike me as anywhere near "incredible."

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You do realize he's dying of cancer, right? And that he's not supposed to make it to Opening Day?

4. bigpern23

Well now, see, there ya go.

Might have been a good idea for the reporter to mention that in the story. Obviously, that's a much more well-known fact in the Detroit area, but (even though I put that story in my paper when it was announced) it fact completely slipped my mind.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why is it incumbent on the Freep to include every piece of background to any random surfer who might stumble on that blurb tonight? There are links to their extensive Harwell coverage all over the site.

Besides, even if he wasn't dying, the fact that Detroit's beloved, retired Hall of Fame broadcaster planned to surprise two Tiger greats by showing up at a charity function during the offseason is still a warm story.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gotta disagree Buck...any story written between now and Harwell's obituary (and hopefully it'll be years before that) has to mention his ill health, even in Detroit and especially when he shows up unannounced at an event. It's remarkable for any 90-year-old to appear on stage with anyone, never mind a 90-year-old with terminal cancer.

7. bigpern23

Really, Buck? You don't think it's pertinent that he made that appearance - to raise money for a scholarship fund - while he's terminally ill? You don't think it merited something along the lines of "Greetings everybody and welcome to Tiger baseball," said Harwell, who announced is he terminally ill on Sept. 15.

That little bit would have explained to the casual reader why he got such a rousing ovation. I'm not asking them to mention what grade he got in high school english here. I don't think mentioning that the man is dying is including "every bit of background." It's kind of important.

And your last point, that even if he wasn't dying it's still a warm story, is ridiculous. Since I forgot that he was dying, that's exactly how it struck me — as a warm story. The thread title and the first post called him "amazing" and "incredible." So in that context, I was wondering what was so incredible about it.

Not sure why you're jumping all over me on this one. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the country who either forgot or wasn't aware that he was dying.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, fair enough. I take back my post.

I read back on a few of the more recent Harwell stories they've done, and they've got a pattern of completely ignoring the elephant in the room.

Would say maybe they're trying to be considerate of their readers' sensitivity ... since anyone over 15 years old in Michigan probably has a favorite Harwell story or memory ... but that's giving the Freep too much credit. They're just omitting it.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wow, post a nice little story and look what happens.

I think the Free Press is assuming that most readers of their sports pages know about Ernie Harwell's plight. They've covered the story extensively since the news broke in the summer. Doesn't he make a joke about living long enough to join the conversation?

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He's hoping to just make it to his birthday in late January.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anyone see his interview with Costas on MLB Network? Couldn't believe how calm he was, how straightforward he is about the dire outlook and how good he looked, for a guy in his 90s dying of cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted