1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Harwell is ailing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It says here:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090816/SPORTS02/908160563/1050/NLETTER03/Harwell-resting-after-release-from-hospital?source=nletter-sports

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

For a man his age, he gets around a lot around town with different things he does.

Hopefully it's not too serious. Get well soon.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great guy first, then a legend. Tigers games haven't been the same since. Hopefully he will be arou

(sorry, wanted to say more but Jeanne Zelasko cut me off)

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed, play. It is nice to still be able to hear his voice on the couple of commercials he does.

Quick story: went to Tiger Stadium as a kid and was milling around the dugout before the game. Some fan gave Ernie a box of homemade chocolates. And he opened it up and started handing it out to the people around the dugout.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My folks attended one of the Blue Cross walking meet-and-greets he does and said they could barely keep up with him walking about town.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

The season after the disgraceful Monaghan/Schembechler regime gave him his walking papers, he came back to do a radio game-of-the-week telecast. As my friend and I were pulling onto the freeway after the game, we saw another car trying to get in. It was Ernie in his beret. I waved him in. He waved and shouted "Thank you." I shouted back, "No, thank YOU!"

Class act his whole life. I hope he recovers quickly.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's cancer and it's incurable....

Not even cancer diagnosis can shake Harwell's spirit
    Legendary Tigers broadcaster reflects on career, looks to future with resolve

BY BILL McGRAW
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

His voice was clear, his spirit strong, his words tinged with humor.

But legendary broadcaster Ernie Harwell had bracing news to deliver Thursday: He has a tumor in the area of the bile duct. It is incurable. Yet Harwell said he feels calm and prepared for what comes next.

"We don't know how long this lasts," Harwell said in a phone interview. "It could be a year, it could be much less than a year, much less than a half a year. Who knows?

"Whatever's in store, I'm ready for a new adventure. That's the way I look at it."

Harwell, who gained an enormous following during 55 years as a major league baseball broadcaster -- 42 of them with the Tigers -- spent about a week in the hospital in mid-August with an obstructed bile duct, and tests revealed the tumor.

He is 91. Harwell, his family and doctors have decided against surgery or other treatment.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090903/NEWS05/309030002/1318/Not-even-cancer-diagnosis-can-shake-Harwell-s-spirit

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Isn't that the same condition that killed Walter Payton?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's right. Sweetness wasn't 91, though.

Man oh man. What a blow.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

There aren't many left like him. It sounds like he is at peace, but it'll be a sad day in the pastime when he passes.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. He's lived a damn full life, and seems to be OK with his fate -- which I'm glad to see -- but it sure will be sad for the rest of us. What a guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted