1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernesto Goes To Camp

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I second that emotion.

Jesus, Del B., et al, where y'at?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm wondering, if Ernesto follows the same path as Katrina (which it looks like it won't, the path looks like Charley right now and that sucks), but if it did, would it cause that much more damage?

I have been to Lower Plaquemines Parish and to NOLA East and to Pass Christian, and those places have barely started to rebuild yet. It might be best to hit those places now before the rebuilding starts.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Looking at the 11 a.m. package of advisories, this actually may be a pretty good situation for most of us, with the huge assumption that the mountains of Cuba can rip up the insides of Ernesto enough that he doesn't make significant strides in stregnth before hitting Florida, like Charley did. Because a middling-to-strong tropical storm going up the U.S. East Coast gives a lot of people some much needed rain (we're in water restriction mode where I am now, so bring on the wet stuff).

Of course, if it takes its sweet time moving over the hyper-warm waters of the SE Gulf, Tampa could be eating an epic storm.

4. Looks like it might bounce into the Atlantic and come up the seaboard, no?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Seems that way, but 24 hours ago this was heading to the Flora-Bama, 36 hours ago it was going to make a run at N'awlins, and 48 hours ago there was a thought it'd head over the southern Gulf into Mexico. It appears the confidence in the computer models is higher now because most of them seem to agree with a Charley/Wilma-like path, but stranger things have and will happen.

Good news: interaction with Haiti is already affecting its makeup, it's gone up 5 mb in pressure in three hours, it looks like crap and the NHC is likely to downgrade it to a tropical storm at 5 p.m. EDT. Bad news: interaction with Haiti is likely killing a lot of people via flooding and mudslides.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The new track has the storm hugging land pretty much for teh duration, keeping it from ever hitting Cat 3.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Jackie Meretsky, who is giving an update on Ernesto on MSNBC, is wearing a shirt that reveals side-view boobage and a glimpse of bra.

I guess that explains her title, as explained in an onscreen graphic: NBC Weather Plus Meteorologist.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey, that reminds me: We need to do a pool on where TWC will send their storm chasers, and which lucky town 50 miles away from the expected landfall site gets Stephanie Abrams playing with the sand on their beach and wearing a warm front-enhancing t-shirt in the process.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Danger Jim = Clearwater
    Mike Seidel = Sarasota
    Jeff Morrow = Ft. Myers
    Stephanie Abrams = South Padre Island

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If they really wanted Danger Jim to live up to his name, he'd cover the first landfall from Guantanamo Bay.

My guesses:
    Cantore -- Key West, then Charlotte Harbor
    Abrams -- my lap Ft. Walton Beach
    Seidel -- St. Petersburg
    Morrow -- Sarasota

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Downgraded temporarily to a Tropical Storm.

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Well done Johnny. Well done. Side boob. Awesome.

And I haven't been able to check much out today because I've been on the road traveling. I'm glad it sounds as if Ernesto got too drunk for itself and is sputtering out.

Draft saved Draft deleted