1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernesto Goes To Camp

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

(in the Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week, according to the NHC):

[​IMG]

And gas prices have dropped into the 2.50s around here, too.

Best-case scenario: Ridging pushes the storm westward, possibly into the Yucatan and then into Mexico (well, not so much best case for THEM, but cheez, the Yucatan takes a Cat 4 licking and keeps on ticking).

Worst-case scenario: Sup New Orleans.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

As my mother said earlier tonight, she hopes Ernestor goes home to Mexico. She's a little bit hurricane weary these days, having been in the line of fire for the past two years along the central gulf coast.

Mystery, nice to see you back in the hurricane hunting mode. Guess it's time to gear up and get going. I wonder where danger jim goes?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He's got to be bored out of his gourd at this point. I saw him doing severe weather coverage in the studio a few nights ago. He may have been talking about tornadoes in Wisconsin, but in his eyes you could tell he was on Cape Hatteras or in front of the Flora-Bama, waiting on a Cat 3.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Shit, I bet he's praying.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hell, he probably tried to convince management to let him report from Johnston Island out in the Pacific for Hurricane Ioke (which is a real bad ass cane out some 1,000 miles west of Hawaii).

It's too bad the Debby name had to be wasted on a fish storm in the far eastern Atlantic. Had Debby been this storm's name, and if it keeps its forecast path, we could have had Debby Does Dallas. Wait, no, I mean thank God Debby's name was wasted on a fish storm.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Yeah, the Pacific has had its share of storms this season. Asia has gotten hammered a couple of times.

And man, Debby Pounds the Texas Coast or Debby Does Houston (I know, it's not Debby Does Dallas) woulda been a headline writer's dream.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's nothing left of note on Johnston Atoll except a JACADs facility.
    And even that might have been shut down by now.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, the reminants would eventually hit Dallas if it hit the NE Texas cost and kept going NW, so there'd be that.

Doesn't most of Texas really really really need the rain? And Dallas could use a few days of below 100-degree weather, so they could probably wrap their arms around a strong tropical storm or minimal hurricane delivering lots of rain and little wind as it moves slowly through (but not too slowly, or you get Allison).

Buck: I had heard that the military abandoned the island to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service a few years ago, but when the NHC issued a hurricane warning for it a few days ago, I thought maybe that meant there were people there still. Also, according to wikipedia, the government might put the island up for auction at some point. They should totally eBay it.

And if you're missing last year with its monster storms, here's a picture of Ioke, the only Cat 5 hurricane to develop in the Central Pacific and the strongest storm to ever exist in it:

[​IMG]

9. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Hurricanes really suck. I'm sick of all the drama.

Can't we just make the world spin a different direction?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Meat, it has been turned over, for the most part, to Fish and Wildlife. There's a research station there and an air strip.
    There was also the JACADs facility there, which is where they ship mustard, Sarin gas and other phased-out chemical weapons for destruction. The last time I had any reason to talk to anyone about it, for a story, was back in 1999. It was still running at the time but could be closed by now.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Debra did do New Orleans, but it was in the summer of 1978, actually almost exactly to the day of Hurricane Katrina. I remember it when our family was living for the summer in New Iberia, La. We didn't have too much advance warning, but we were able to make it out of there alive. It was much less scary than Katrina, but it was a new experience.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this sucks. fucking ernesto. fucking hurricanes. assholes. i hate hurricanes.

fwiw, i was once on johnston island when i was a kid. we were flying from somewhere in the pacific to hawaii for vacation when my family lived in hawaii. before the plane landed in johnston we had to close the shade and no one could get off except those passengers with a ticket saying their destination was johnston. it was odd -- you actualy had to show a ticket to get off the plane. i know, not much of a story, but that's my connection. this was in 1986 i think.

Draft saved Draft deleted