1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernest Hemingway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 5, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Faulkner would be another author it would be tough to bullshit through a conversation with.

Joyce's Ulysses is possible to read and still sound like you didn't read it in a conversation.

People who want to lie about reading great books should buy those illustrated abridged versions they used to sell a KB Toys. I used to pass Accelerated Reader tests in elementary school Using those things for Dickens' high point books. You could read David Copperfield in like three hours and pass the test.

Hey, it won me a bicycle. I have no regrets.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I lied about reading books all the time in school and often received A's on papers about books I had never even so much as held in my hands. But what's the point now?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Throw down four glasses of the house red and try to slip "Yoknapatawpha County" into the conversation ...

I know I've read one Faulkner novel ... Light in August ... a couple of times. I've got it in my head I read The Hamlet, but I don't remember jack about it so maybe that's one of the ones I pretended to read when I was in college.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never read anything by William Faulkner. I've tried, though.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I bit, and looked it up.

For those who are curious (as I was) and/or are among the 62 percent who actually haven't read much, if any, of Hemingway's work (as I am), here's that line:

It was now lunch time and they were all sitting under the double green fly of the dining tent pretending that nothing had happened.

Hmm, I might have to go back and read that, just to find out what did happen. :)

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just the opposite with me. Faulkner was shoved down my throat at Ole Miss, but Hemmingway puts me to sleep 10 minutes in.

7. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Papa and the FBI: http://vault.fbi.gov/ernest-miller-hemingway/ernest-hemingway-part-01-of-01/view

Draft saved Draft deleted