1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin's 911 call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You mentioned a felon and a drama queen in the same sentence as the victim of a crime. There is a difference.

And in Vick and Favre's cases, I'm sure reporters didn't knock on the door of a house in a gated community repeatedly, they were camped out on the sidewalk (public property), reporting with the property as a backdrop.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Can't be letting a gate get in the way of getting a story. I can't wait to hear Britney's stake on Gategate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well, that goes toward something someone mentioned a few minutes ago about the security at these gated communties.

Either way, it was wrong. And I do NOT blame her for calling 911. She did the right thing.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There are a couple of complete jackasses on this thread today, and I'm not talking about Sonner. A woman's a victim of sex crime, and she's just supposed to accept being stalked now? Fuck that shit.

5. JackReacher

Those who question the 911 call should have their heads checked. Immediately.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, why is it in any way relevant what she said in her 911 call?? She didn't lie, she didn't make unreasonable demands, she wasn't abusive or rude or belligerent, she wasn't speaking for public entertainment...she's calling freakin 911.

What is the point of analyzing the way she made the call? What possible conclusion can you draw from it?

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't have an opinion about her calling 911 ... right or wrong. But is she going to call 911 every time? I mean, this isn't going to stop. At least I don't suspect it will stop. And I truly believe the more she calls attention to the story, the more it'll hang in the news and on blogs. I hadn't heard anything in about a week on this story, and then BOOM, she calls 911 about a 'suspicious vehicle' and drops a Britney reference. Whether she knows it or not, TMZ eats that shit up.

8. JackReacher

I'd answer that question honestly, but there's about a 100 percent chance it'll get taken the wrong way.

But you're right. It had nothing to do with the call. Just rubbed me the wrong way, that's all. It's simply picking nits, but it shouldn't take away from the bigger issue...the fact that she was right to call 911.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a sex crime, but it's also a news story. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

10. JackReacher

I don't want to speak for her, but I'm pretty sure SC wasn't talking about whether or not it's a news story.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I was simply drawing the comparison to following a news story, like Favre or Vick.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What exactly these reporters (if they were legit reporters, or if they were just slimy photographers looking for a picture) did is the grey area here.

Did they walk up to the front door, knock three times, waited a few minutes and then went to their car and sat? If her subdivision maintains and paves the roads, then they own the roads and it is their private property. If the state maintains the road she lives on, then there is a right of way on either side of the road that is not private property.

Did they walk around the house peeping into windows? Then they should be arrested, which they were not.

Were they sitting there for 10 minutes or four hours? Who knows?

I know SC, what happened to her is terrible, but it does seem ironic that the company she worked for created an article where they stalked and found the Holy Grail of all sports interviews.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

By the way, the meeting at the end is fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted