1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin's 911 call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Once again: "I would like to tell the officer to have them leave because the cops have told me to call 911 if they're outside my house."

If that's true, she simply followed what the cops told her to do. Blame the cops for the "overreaction."

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Most interesting part of transcript to me is when she says "I'm all over the news," and dispatcher replies, "I'm not familiar." A good reminder that not everybody obsessively monitors her employer's programming or its "personalities," nor their troubles.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How long until someone says EA wanted those guys outside her home more than they wanted to be there?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stay tuned. Reminds me of a line from Major League....I wouldn't leave that rum sitting around with this group.

5. JackReacher

After listening to it again, I will say that I LOVED the fact that the dispatcher had no idea who she was. Dropping the nude video mention during the call was completely unnecessary.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I am a grown-ass man, and if I saw two guys sitting outside my house, I'd call the cops, or head outside with a bat.

Either one. I don't want people sitting outside my place.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How is this any different from ESPN reporters camping out on the lawns of Michael Vick and/or Brett Favre? Erin Andrews, as a member of this society, should know how it works. I have a tough time sympathizing with her on this one.

By the way, how is Britney Spears treated?

8. JackReacher

Gated community. That's the difference. I don't know what kind of community Favre or Vick live in, but if it's gated, they shouldn't have to worry about reporters camping out on their lawn. That'd be breaking the law, brotha!

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. She was explaining why she was concerned about a car in the street watching her house, and why police told her to call 911 if she was worried. Without the context of the bigger story, that dispatcher would have said, 'So there's a car? And what's the issue?'

Anyone who has made a 911 call (and I have made a couple) knows that if you're upset enough to make that call, you're probably not choosing your words very carefully. And you certainly have the reasonable expectation that it won't become further fodder for internet babble.

What got me about that call was that her mom was there with her, and she had to ask her mom to help her get the license plate number.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that security in gates communities isn't for shit these days. Not that it would help her at that moment, but her mother needs to go to the next homeowners association meeting and raise hell about the use of whatever portion of her monthly fees is going to the security firm of Fife, Blart and Clouseau.

11. JackReacher

Bull. The fact that she was in a video wasn't even remotely relevent to the call. Anyone could call 911 and say there are people stalking her outside her house. They don't have to give their life story. And it sounded like she was completely capable of making the call without mentioning the back story -- several times.

Complete bull.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it breaking the law to be in a gated community if you get past the gate by driving behind another car or waving at Barney Fife as you go in?

The streets I think would still be public streets -- at least so the maids and landscapers could do their jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted