1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Overbey and the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not in this forum enough to know if this has been discussed elsewhere. I just saw this thread and thought I'd throw it out there to kick around. Helluva thread, and if what she's saying is accurate she's got a case.

I have no idea of what the facts actually are in fullness. Thread.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

She seems like she’s barrel of joy to work with. This thread is something.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Must’ve graduated from the Felicia Sonmez School of Journalism.

Sports Barf likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She's not wrong.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She went postal on them last year going right to twitter, and then unloaded again with her firing. Among all of the allegations and the narrative. ... I'll bet she's wrong about something. ... a lot of that, actually, might have been very self-serving narrative and not all that true.

If you had to lay odds, would you take the over or the under on David Remnick inserting errors into things she fact checked to create a pretense for firing her?

If you look back at every byline since 1925, would anyone have really been surprised that the New Yorker has had a lot of white / male writers over the decades?

She's right. And she still created a twitter beef with her employer where she took that. ... and essentially used to it to make allegations about racism and sexism today.

I don't know her, but I'm a little surprised by her age and how long she has been there. It's the one thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder if there really is something to it all. It's difficult to believe someone would stay at one place that long. ... and then in their 50s, unload the way she decided to.

The flip side is that what I was reading between the lines (and maybe I have it all wrong) is that she was passed over for a job she wanted and this may have been a product of her resentment.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’m sure she’s not. But sounds like she lacks any sort of patience or tact, just impulsive and emotional

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Lacks patience? She worked in that system for almost 30 years.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Meh. She's probably right on a bunch of it but also sounds like a bitter old pill. She's known about it and worked around it for 30 years.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

She may be right. She also seems like an over-the-top PITA who made it her mission to make lives intolerable for everyone around her there. Bitching about a co-worker's qualifications and pay for their job, asking to have an editor removed from working there, and then the admitted self-plagiarism?

For how miserable she paints herself to be for however-many years there, she should be thanking them for firing her.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Maybe after 30 years she was just exhausted.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find the New Yorker and NPR's coverage of people of color is one of "pity" and "empathy" - their coverage seems to be "for" white people "about" people of color. If a person of color is mentioned in an article - odds are their struggles with racism will be included. And I'd be surprised if either has a large group of non-white subscribers/donors/listeners.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

OscarMadison and SixToe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted