1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews violated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree a little.

It's like trying to partially blame J.D. Salinger, or the producers of the movie 'Natural Born Killers', or more recently Brad Pitt and his performance in 'Fight Club' for horrible acts of violence because that's where the criminals got their inspiration.

While posting closeup clothed pictures is incredibly offensive, wrong and disgusting, you didn't see her lawyers writing cease-and-desist letters to Deadspin on those days. In fact, I remember reading a few months ago that she was making a big pitch for Dancing With the Stars. Without Deadspin's "obsession," she's probably not a big enough 'star' to pitch that show.

But this act rises to the level of a felonious crime. I don't care who it happened to -- Paris Hilton, Jennifer Aniston, or the gal down the street -- it's a horrible, horrible, leaves-you-feeling-like-you've-been-punched-in-the-stomach-just-reading-about-it crime.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

For everything we typically agree about, not really with you on this.

The criticism of TBL and Deadspin in this case is not that they drove people to criminal madness with their exploitation of Andrews, it's that they exploited her for fun and profit and are now shocked, simply shocked, that someone else has exploited her.

As for the lawyers, clearly there's a big difference between a cease-and-desist for naked video that was taken without consent, versus photos taken when the subject was in public view.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

The Big Lead is shocked at the result of his usage of lighter fluid.

5. Lugnuts

Is Deadspin "shocked," or is Deadspin simply condemning the crime?

Because in the parallel I drew above, I've seen the producers of Natural Born Killers condemn murder, which you'd expect them to do.

I can't believe I'm defending Deadspin.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Another point..

Dailymotion.com is based out of France. I don't know how the law works in this case, but I could see investigators having a difficult time obtaining IP addresses from that company. And who knows if they even record or keep the IP addresses of their uploaders.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fantastic.

8. Lugnuts

Wow. I wonder if these people will ever be caught. Which makes it even more convenient to point the finger and people like Deadspin. But look, if Deadspin now thinks twice before posting something incredibly offensive, I suppose that's something.

The hotel chain is probably not feeling too good right now.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think if you have a professional interest in photos of Erin Andrews' (completely dressed) breasts and butt, you're being incredibly intellectually and morally dishonest by expressing outrage when someone else takes it a step further. As in, 'it's okay when we do it, she's just there asking for it.'

Agree with you about the hotel, there has to be a pretty big lawsuit coming that way.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If she weren't friendly and hard-working, this would be OK?

Who could possibly deserve this?

11. KVV

KVV Member

1. Again, my point and 21's point is more in line with "Spare me your bullshit." You might be able to make the same argument to Oliver Stone, should he condemn copycat acts by those inspired by Natural Born Killers, although I think you can make a fairly compelling argument that what Stone, or Marilyn Manson or Chuck Palahniuk is doing is artistic commentary on society, whereas I'd be eager to see someone pull off the same based on random clips of Andrews' ass that appear weekly on The Big Lead, and occasionally, Deadspin. (Although at least they usually have to have some kind of news value with Deadspin.)

2. Deadspin and TBL are two different things entirely, and so I feel uncomfortable linking both together, which is why I didn't do it in my first post. Yes, I think Deadspin fosters some that jack-off culture, but rarely if ever is it just, "Good morning Deadspin!, now here are some boobie pics of Erin Andrews."

3. Deadspin's attitude is, more or less, these are out there so if you want the links, here you go. Which is somewhat deplorable, but at least A.J. Daulerio isn't, for the most part, pretending to condemn this kind of behavior while at the same time feeding the beast. McIntyre is doing exactly that, mainly because he has the reasoning abilities of a horny 7th grader, and that's why he's regularly mocked by the Deadspin/KSK mafia.

4. Think a little about this though: The blogs like Deadspin, TBL, With Leather, SportsByBrooks, ect., are going to bite back in anger and claim they had nothing to do with stoking the flames of this stuff with Andrews, but they're wrong: The actively encouraged this gotcha culture where there are no private moments anymore for anyone (He look, it's Erin Andrews eating a sandwich or going to the taco bar! Send us your pics and we'll put them in Deleted Scenes if they don't live up to Gawker's already low standards!) so why would some shithead with a camera think EA had any expectation of privacy in her hotel room?

We're well past the point where wagging a finger at any of these blogs will make an ounce of difference. The marketplace has spoken, we've pretty much lost. But again, when it goes too far, spare me the phony condemnation. As Eddie Murphy says in Delirious, you brought that shit on yourself.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If the perv was an employee, yeah I would be shitting bricks if I was the hotel. If not, I'm pretty sure they can argue that what was done could have happened at any hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.