1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews violated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've covered events she was at and she is friendly and hard-working.

And she does not deserve this at all.

2. Allegedly

Allegedly Guest

Apparently, this video has been sitting on Daily Motion for anyone to see for the last four months.

How did this finally break?

(Confession: Buddy of mine sent me the link earlier today ((without expounding on its shady origins)) so I've seen the video. I feel bad for having watched it, but it's damn near impossible to tell it's her. The quality is that poor. I think Piotr is correct that her attorneys likely let the cat out of the bag by confirming it.)

Either way, goblazers1 (the handle of the creep who posted it at DM, along with myriad other peephole videos) is going to end up broke and a convicted sex offender when all this is done. And it's no less than he deserves.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If a woman (or her attorney) comes out and says in public that she's the victim of a sexual assault, she's given permission to have her name used.

4. I met Erin at an event last year and she was gracious enough before the game to do a short video interview with me for my rag's Web site, despite the fact she was being stopped by fan after fan wanting a picture - each of which, by the way, she stopped and smiled for.

One of the questions I asked her, ironically, was how she felt about being one of those rare media personalities who has become a story herself. Her answer, which seemed genuine, strongly suggested she wasn't 100 percent comfortable with her own quasi-celebrity status.

I don't imagine this will help.
    This really does suck. What a horrifying thing to happen to anyone, much less someone who seems to be, from my brief encounters, a very good person.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agreed. The morons who view her as nothing more than eye candy, and that as being the sole reason she has her job, irritate me. She's a good reporter who seems to work hard and knows her stuff.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's fair to label those who view her as eye candy "morons," anymore than it is fair to label someone who calls Craig Sager a buffoon a moron, considering that is largely the role they are given.

Sideline reporters in general bring very little to a broadcast except in the case of an in-game injury. So when ESPN puts the pretty blonde in that role, it likely isn't because of her exceptional reporting skills (though they may very well be exceptional).

I'm not saying sideline reporters are not good reporters. I'm saying that when you're given three 30-second spots during a three-hour broadcast, the role doesn't allow them to do much more than look good or whacky and provide some occasional levity.

These aren't beat reporters who are around the team 162 games a year and who have developed sources who are going to give them inside scoops. They also aren't going to go do an in-depth 5-minute report on a player, or facet of the team that viewers find interesting. They are going to sit with Mom of Player A and ask what it's like seeing her boy pitch in the majors. And they are going to look good doing it.

All of that said, there is no excuse for what happened to Erin Andrews and as someone with a sister, I hope she is able to find the culprit and get justice. Seriously, I know she's had to put up with a lot, probably mostly from drunken fans, but this is the kind of thing that you have to think would make her wonder if it really is worth it. When she can't check into a hotel on the road and change her clothes or whatever she does in the video without having to worry about someone videotaping it, it's got to take a lot of the joy out of doing her job.

7. KVV

KVV Member

It's all a big "yuk! yuk! yuk!" for blogs like TBL with Erin Andrews pics and masturbatory obsession until some shithead takes it to the next level and then it's "Whoa! Whoa! We condemn this!"

A lot of people who fed this obsession with her for a long time are now expressing their shock, their absolute shock and disgust, that someone took this into criminal territory, and frankly, they should STFU.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

1. Agree completely. It was a big laff when the college football player humped her for the cameras behind her back, with the usual righteous indignation about how she was 'asking for it.' Same for the national uproar over whether she sat on a couch as she put a hand on a ballplayer's arm in the clubhouse. Her fault that a writer couldn't control his tit-gazing. Bad Erin.

2. It's really irrelevant whether she's a celebrity or hardworking journalist or good person or eye candy or a meaningless sideline reporter...she's a victim of a horrible crime.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I expressed plenty of outrage about what the USC player did behind Erin's back in public, enough to become ridiculed. And if you can show me a post where I joined in with SJ Masturbation Nation in objectifying her, I'll give you every penny I have.

No, I will not STFU, thank you.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt anyone was talking about you, JD.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man... who gets off on imagery of someone having their privacy raped?

12. KVV

KVV Member

I have no idea why you felt like I was talking about you, JD. But you were not correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.