1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews violated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hoo boy.

The worst of SJ Masturbation Nation are no doubt frothed up like Zulu impis before they kicked the Brits' ass in Zulu Dawn.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The initial Deadspin post was one of those "may or may not be Erin Andrews" kind of things.

Did ESPN (and its high-powered Disney lawyers) let the cat out of the bag by sending cease-and-desist letters? Yes, Web consensus seems to be that it certainly looks like her. But while seeking to protect their client, seems the lawyers kind of destroyed plausible deniability.

Either way, whoever took the video is in for a world of (legal) hurt.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Saw a TMZ clip of some video person recording her as she walks through an airport. That has to suck, having a buncha morans getting paid to pursue you.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hope this thread maintains as much dignity and integrity as we can bring to bear. We can argue about whether ESPN is true sports journalism (not that it should matter in the least), but Erin and all sideline reporters take their jobs seriously, and they are closely enough aligned with us professionally for us to join ranks with her and give her support and due respect -- and condemn what is indeed a violation.

As someone with three sisters, I hope she makes them pay dearly and suffer as much shame as possible, if they even have the capacity.

This is serious stuff. Stay classy, SportsJournalists.com. Please.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think ESPN is reporting this. My point is you either protect all victims or you don't protect any.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Given that she had her attorney issue a statement, I don't think you have a privacy or protection issue here.

You could argue that Erin Andrews is not the same as Sharapova where ESPN is concerned....one is an employee and the other is a sports figure who is the subject of reporting on a regular basis. Would ESPN report on Chris Berman getting in a car accident?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

8 seconds later......

"Hey, what'd I miss??" [/byh]

kidding, kidding! ;D

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I've been at some of the same events as Erin Andrews but never met her. Seems to me she works hard, is sincere about doing the best she can. It's a sad commentary of the times in which she lives that she's become objectified. Being a man, I admit I believe she's an attractive woman and I don't mind viewing the many pictures posted of her so I'm part of the objectification problem.

This latest, though, is a sick invasion of privacy and I hope she (legally) beats the holy crap out of the perp(s).

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well said, Sock. I suspect you speak for many.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Amen.

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I've never been a drooling EA fanboy, but I had a brief conversation with her at an event a few months ago - we were both waiting to talk to the same person, and she was getting swarmed with people taking her picture and yelling that they wanted to marry her.

At one point I asked "Do you ever get tired of all this?" and she laughed and said no, it is worth it to do a job she loves.

I suspect that this, though, is about 42 steps beyond what she finds acceptable, and, if the video is of her, I hope she gets her pound of flesh, literally or figuratively.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Thanks for that, JD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.