1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews files $10 million lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From what I just read, I don't think the defense attorney asked any questions quite that way in his cross. He asked her if her career has thrived since 2009, and she said yes. He pointed out a list of endorsements she has gotten since then, including Reebok, Degree, Diet Mountain Dew, Florida Orange Juice, and a commercial for Victoria’s Secret.

I'd guess they figure they are going to have to pay if this goes to a jury, and the strategy is to have the jury working from a starting point, "They should pay, but not as much as if this had destroyed her career." I'm not sure how much that would matter to me if I was sitting on that jury. From the stories I have read, if it is going anywhere near the way it sounds, I hope they are furiously trying to settle before the jury has it.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think Marriott is arguing that the video didn't harm her career. That is different than arguing that the video enhanced her career.

sgreenwell and cranberry like this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They didn't mention the dreadful Probiotics commercials? Ha.

Andrews doesn't strike me as being in for the money. If Marriott wants to settle for, say, $25 million, what's that to her after lawyer's costs? Not as satisfying as taking this all the way to the end and making Marriott look terrible. And I hope she does.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Perhaps people with more legal knowledge can chime in, but does her celebrity status play a role here? If this happened to Jane Doe, and it appears there are several Jane Does, would they get the same shake in the courtroom after filing a $75 million suit? Andrew's said she was embarrassed, as I'm sure any woman would be, all suffering the same damages emotionally, but I can't see a run-of-the-mill woman winning a lawsuit and claiming that much money.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I haven't followed it that closely. Just read a few things about the trial the last few days. Forget the payout, this is miserable PR for Marriott. I am guessing they have wanted to settle all along the way, and she has had no interest in taking a settlement. She put a ridiculous price tag on the lawsuit so they couldn't settle, and she intends to see it through. But I don't know that for sure.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hope ESPN looks just as bad as Marriott in this given her testimony that they made her go on Oprah.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Worse than that -- they made her do an interview, which she didn't want to do, and pressured her to do it with GMA, since it's a Disney outlet. She steered it to Oprah.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I stand corrected -- the excellent producer in PCLL emerges. :)

I hope Bristol is shamed beyond belief in this.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bristol and shame are not two concepts that can typically be found anywhere near each other.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ESPN's disdain for a proper work environment for women is the stuff of books. And pushing GMA over Oprah is the type of corporate synergy one would expect out of Bristol.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted