1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews files $10 million lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You can speculate whatever you want but I'm betting the house that if anyone is truthful they'll say you can keep your money, I'll take the preservation of my privacy.

Think about all the indignities that Ms. Andrews has had to endure; your mom and dad in the courtroom while people talk all day about your nakedness.

Yeah $55M seems high but dammit the hotel completely was at fault and the 49% was as high as they could go since the original idea was the stalker's; that's the only reason it did not go higher.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If she had several siblings who were equal attention whores and a mother who would sell them all out for any amount of money, she might be going places in our country. All kidding aside, she deserved a big reward, mostly bc of the stupidity of Marriott in sharing her room number and giving the guy the room right next door.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something that's been gnawing at me because, well, something always has to be gnawing at me . . .

Part of the justification for the huge amount she was seeking was, I believe, because "so many" people have seen (or could have seen) the images. But it seems to me the incident had been largely forgotten until this suit brought it into the forefront again. So NOW a whole bunch of curious people are seeking out these images that they hadn't given a second thought about before. Something seems a little screwed up about that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Meh - the large amount is to "encourage" more businesses to take better care of their guests. I figure there are similar cases where someone with a restraining order might have found out where an ex is staying or something. My guess is Andrews will donate everything the lawyers let her keep.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In other words, she brought it on herself.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt it, and why should she? The punitive damages are for HER pain and suffering; who else deserves it?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about this if you are the hotels, Andrews doesn't need the cash and she was probably more than willing to play it out if it needed. My guess is an insurance company stepped in and "encouraged" the hotel to settle.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, how much you figure she got? $20 million?

And what do her lawyers get? HALF?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Did you guys read the article ?

The way I read it she might have gotten more.

Because the hotel was under the threat of more being tacked on.

She still probably got quite a bit.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

She didn't get the $55 million, but I'd be shocked if she didn't get significantly more than the hotel was offering all the way up through the jury coming back with a verdict.

If the lawyers were working on contingency, then they likely get a third of her settlement. That's a typical contingency fee arrangement, and most personal injury cases are done on contingency.

If she was paying out of pocket, I'd guess the attorneys fees are a couple of million or so and that part of the settlement agreement designates a specific portion to cover those costs.

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted