1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews files $10 million lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/espn-reporter-andrews-sues-man-peephole-videos-162733484.html

The story that damn near broke the Internet in 2008...

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm fairly certain she won't get anywhere near $4 million from the peep hole creeper.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What if they find that the peeping was committed (no dispute) but that the incident in fact did not damage her reputation but in fact "enhanced" it? No damages.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was an invasion of her privacy. Punitive damages.

Is she suing the peeper, the hotels or both? If she's looking for a payday, the money would be in suing the hotels where the peeping took place.

5. Her ass deserves at least eight stacks of that, I mean, damn.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seeking $6 million from Marriott, $4 million from the peeper.

QT, why does she have to show her reputation was damaged? She's not suing for loss of wages or damage to her career, she's suing because she suffered public humiliation and embarrassment from the mass distribution of those naked videos, due to a) the hotel's negligence and b) the direct actions of the peeper. Doesn't matter whether she's a high profile celeb or a nobody; anyone out there would be entitled to the same remedy if they were filmed naked without their consent and the videos distributed on the internet, right?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You guys are right. I was lazy and thinking that she sued for defamation, which requires a showing of some damage to your reputation. Sorry. There was an invasion of privacy and as a tort (in California) you get to recover emotional distress damages.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could she take the $6 million in Marriott points? (sorry couldn't resist)

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

My employer has been causing me emotional distress with recent job cutbacks. Does that mean I can sue?

No?

Carry on ...

10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I'm by no means her biggest fan. More accurately, I'm probably one of her biggest critics.

She, however, deserves everything she can get from this. I wouldn't wish what she experienced in this horrific ordeal on my worst enemy.

If she were my daughter, Mr. Peepers would already be dead.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would he?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She'll win or settle big with the hotel. I'd be curious if the guy paid someone to find out what room she was in.

Good luck getting anything from the sicko who actually did it.

Draft saved Draft deleted