1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews and the Cubs locker room: Discuss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is so fucking stupid.

A blogger/reporter/whatever shows up and gets all hot and bothered because ballplayers are being seduced into make lewd remarks, Lou makes a joke, and other reporters are forced to report on the indecency of this shocking and unprecedented situation.

And of course the Big Bleat covers the story by posting a picture of Erin going down on a sandwich.

Bulletin: The same shit happens every day to women far less provocative and attractive than Eric Andrews. Grow the fuck up and act like you've been in a clubhouse before.

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

So, on the other side of the locker room, this putz sees Andrews touch Soriano's bicep and, suddenly, she's acting inappropriate? I have a hard time believing that if she were a fat, male sportswriter wearing a Hawaiian shirt two sizes too small that there would be a ruckus over touching Soriano's arm during a conversation. But because she's an attractive blonde, suddenly it's assumed inappropriate.

I suppose you're allowed to believe this guy. But until I see a little more evidence than, "ooh!!! look at the blonde slut touching Soriano!!!" I'll believe Andrews.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

I have seen male reporters fist pound athletes. I have seen them laugh at their stupid, juvenile jokes. This is considering just being one of the guys. But if a female journalist does the same thing, it's considered flirting.

And I hate to point this out, but I don't think a middle-aged sports writer is in a position to judge anyone else's clothes. From the above picture, it doesn't look like Erin is dressed inappropriately. Her biggest sin: she's attractive -- and sports reporters are so paranoid/insecure they think she uses that to her advantage. Maybe she does. Who cares? Do you really think Erin is going to report something that the beat writers don't already have?

Last point: This columnist points out -- and quotes -- Cubs players, remarking on Erin's grand entrance .... As if the male reporters in the clubhouse weren't doing the exact same thing.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Lets face it. Erin Andrews is/was not going to win.

If she touches a player's bicep, she's a flirting hussy who got her job because she fucked her way to the top. If she talks to them with her arms crossed, hands touching her sides at all times, she would be an ice queen bitch who needs to loosen up. For all that her beauty has brought her, it doesn't mean that it's not an F'n headache for her.

This column is short on real facts and long on innuendo. We have to rely completely on this reporter's version of events where Erin Andrews is suggestively flirting with the entire Cubs locker room. She isn't just being friendly or sociable. No, she is an unprofessional slut whose distractions the Cubs rose above to beat the Brewers. Give me a break.

You cover a team that won the most important series of its season in strong fashion on the road and all you can find to talk about is Erin Andrews in the locker room? Weak.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we're done.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've long struggled to discuss female TV folks in a non-creepy manner.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This thread would seem to indicate that the struggle continues.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think the columnist was mad she sat on the players' couch.

9. I still remember the scene 15 or so years ago in the Atlanta clubhosue during a post-season celebration when Hannah Storm laid a big kiss and hug on David Justice. She was working for CNN at the time. Don't think it slowed her career.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

She's lucky Halle Berry didn't break her kneecaps.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I've always thought Erin Andrews does her job well and works awfully hard when I've seen her in the clubhouse and that belief hasn't changed. Are more athletes willing to talk to her because she's attractive? Sure. But she's also one of the most recognizable faces in broadcasting and athletes are more likely to act friendly with her, just like when John Madden shows up the week before the game, etc.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I remember when Gerry Fraley was suspended for spreading vicious, ugly rumors about a female newspaper reporter.

He still worked after that, but didn't make what he did any less offensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted