1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erik Bedard = worst interview ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_lorax, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Isn't cleaning up the douches a little redundant? No go dig a hole

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've had this happen, too. But I've found that, often, their lack of response is based largely on their surprise, by being caught off-guard by the question. So I try to be patient, ask them to think about it, or find another way to ask it. And usually, I'll get a more usable answer.

I'm sorry, guys. I haven't intended to be preachy, to j-students or anyone else. I know there are a few jerks out there, and I've been exposed to a couple.

But I guess I've been fortunate enough not to have interviewed very many of them, and to have, instead, talked mostly to the right people, as MR referenced.

I do generally consider reporting and interviewing to be strengths, and a part of the job I love, so, perhaps I have had some benefit of that. But I'm just speaking from my own experience, which, I'm sure, is more extensive than some people's here, and not as far-reaching as others' might be.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so witty.

4. Jealous aren't you

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you only knew.

6. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

now children

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

To the guy who said four questions should be enough ... yeah, OK, if I am one-on-one, four will get me home. Now, if I am in a gang-bang of radio morons and TV foofs -- my apologies to the good radio and TV guys -- four questions along the lines of "how did you feel out there today, Erik?" ain't gonna feed the bulldog.

I'll also agree that making ourselves the story about who will and will not give us great access is kind of silly, but I do think fans like to read that sort of stuff. They like to know who are the good guys and who are the assholes. That's why we exist ... to tell them the shit they cannot get from their sofas. And yeah, performance trumps all, so if Bedard goes 22-9 this year, nobody will care ... but if he goes 12-16 he'll get his shit handed to him by the fans for everything, on and off-field.

Anybody who thinks sportswriting is just covering the games please pick up your free tote bag and get the hell out.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's a clause in the boilerplate of any standard contract requiring team employees to conduct themselves civilly and with professionalism when dealing with the media.....

Draft saved Draft deleted