1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erik Bedard = worst interview ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_lorax, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bingo. I think it tells a lot about the person, the individual, in how they deal with others, like the media, on a day to day basis. A lot.

And the media has that first hand insight into how these people act, carry themselves, deal with others. I think there's clearly a strong contingent of the reading public who are quite interested in reading those insights.

2. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

LeBron?

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Jim Rice doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, and anyone who would keep him out because he was surly should have his voting privileges revoked. Steve Carlton and Eddie Murray didn't have any problem getting in.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm eagerly awaiting bob's reply.

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

Sorry to keep you waiting, Petty.

Some guys get in because of their numbers.
    Murray and Carlton were never in doubt.
    3000 hits and 500 HRs?
    300 wins?

Those on the bubble, like Rice, arent as defined.
    And if you dont think Rice's attitude toward the media hasn't played a role in the voting than you are a very naive sports reporter.

6. statrat

statrat Member

That's if Baker ever returns from his spring training vacation. Why one leaves Arizona to go back to Seattle to take a vacation in during spring training in early March I will never know.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you can blame Sidney Ponson, who taught Bedard right from the beginning tha the press were assholes and not to be trusted. El Sid, I guess, always thought it was the media's fault when he'd get hammered in a bar after getting hammered on the mound and then pick up a DUI on the way home. Damn the media.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or you're a rice fanboi looking to make excuses ... one of the two.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

this has to be a first: Silent Bob has been damn right and damn wrong all in the space of a breath.

I can't wait until next year, when the people who say Rice has been left out of the HOF b/c he was a rotten piece of crap to writers have to scramble when, guess what, Rice gets in the HOF.

Not that he deserves it. This just in: When you need a team employee to come up with reams and reams of information explaining why you belong in the HOF...you don't belong in the HOF.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good or the Hall of Above Average.

Either of the latter two, Rice is in.

But Cooperstown? Nope. Not because he was an asshat. Because he wasn't Hall of Fame caliber.

11. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Neither is Erik Bedard, we think. But that doesn't mean he has to be an ass in the meantime.

12. I don't think readers are as voyeuristic as we'd like to believe. They don't care that Erik Bedard won't talk to a sports reporter. In fact, these two graphs are exactly what turn readers off to writers:

"It was an exhibition game so it didn't matter, but Bedard allowed six hits to the first nine batters he faced, including back-to-back homers to Jim Thome and Paul Konerko. The White Sox led 4-1 before Bedard recorded an out.
    If they didn't have a rule against cheering in the press box, spurned scribes might have exchanged chest bumps and done the wave."

The reader is saying, "Our ace just got shelled, and this guy is enjoying it. Some objectivity." And they're right. Column or not, this guy isn't the story, neither is Bedard's treatment of the media. He took his five questions, sure he's a tool, but that doesn't make it a story. Yes, talk to the catcher. Yes, talk to the pitching coach. No, don't write me 800 words on how tough your job was today because Erik Bedard wouldn't spew cliches my way. Boo-hoo, you're getting paid to watch baseball games. Go dig holes in the street.

"The World Needs Ditch-Diggers Too." Judge Elihu Smails

Draft saved Draft deleted