1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erik Bedard = worst interview ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_lorax, Mar 11, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/

Several mentions in this blog about Erik Bedard's policy with the press corps from Seattle. Says he'll answer x amount of questions, then after giving curt answers to those x, cuts off the next reporter who asks and says, "Later."
    I know he's the big story, seeing as he's new with the M's and all, so you can't really ignore him. But wouldn't you fry this guy every chance you got? What an ass.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe this idiot will blow up and you can drive to tacoma and watch him pitch there.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Tacoma IS a lot closer.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe there was an SI article about Bedard last year which focused on his dislike of talking to the press.

Here's an article from yesterday by the Seattle PI's Tom Moore about the same thing. But is it really karma if Bedard pitches poorly following a session in which he doesn't give the press the time of day?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/354522_moore11.html

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Some guys just aren't comfortable opening up and talking to the press. Doesn't make them bad people, so I really don't understand why some reporters take this kind of thing personally. Move on. Talk to the catcher or the pitching coach and let them elaborate.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was listening to Steve Czaban's show on the way to work this morning, and he was interviewing Seth Everett from mlb.com. Everett mentioned Bedard's assholishness and ripped him for it. Said Bedard got to a postgame interview session last week, and said he'd take four questions. First reporter asks, "Why only four?" Bedard's response was, "That's one."

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

See, I LOVE that kind of stuff. Not from the "makes-job-easier" POV, but still.

When I started hearing about Bedard's reticence, I sort of vaguely remembered interviewing him when I first started out, when he was pitching in the Little League Ontario playoffs. He would have been about 12, and had only been pitching for two years.

For your reading pleasure, I went back and searched in the archives. Here is the money quote. Wa. State reporters can use at their discretion for the days Bedard isn't talking, like so.

Bedard wasn't talking to the media yesterday. So we will instead tell you how he felt after pitching a one-hitter for the Orleans Red Sox against the Powerhouse Glace Bay Miners in Aug. 1992, to propel his team to the Junior Little League World Series:

"I was a little nervous before the game," said Bedard. "But it's easier to pitch with a big lead -- you can just relax and throw the ball."

(You're welcome).

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Be sure to attribute it to "ballscribe, who is a she"

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

His reticence is pretty well known in my parts. And no, I'm not from our cozy northern neighbours to the north.

It's a fact of life that some people just don't feel comfortable talking to the media, no matter how much you work to build rapport with them or try to make them feel at ease around you. Some people are naturals at speaking with the press. Some aren't. Some people eventually learn how to be comfortable around media. Some never make the effort.

It doesn't mean Bedard is a jerk. Allow Michael Wilbon to be a lesson in not judging someone for their exploits on the playing field or their demeanor toward those of us on press row with recorders and notebooks poised. After Wilbon had his heart attack in Arizona the week before the Super Bowl, he mentioned receiving well wishes from two particular players: Jeff George and Kobe Bryant. He skewered both players in print in his columns and ripped them both new assholes on air.

When the chips were down and he was dealing with a life-changing event, those two players were among the first people to step in and offer their support and their prayers. It doesn't mean Wilbon won't call Bryant out if it's warranted. But he won't make the mistake of impugning Bryant's character for what he does on the court.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

move on? no shit. but that doesn't mean you can't talk about it on a freakin' sports journalism board, though.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think it does make him a jerk.

If you are uncomfortable talking to the media, then don't talk, blush and shrug, mumble answers.

You could even make up polite excuses ("I'm sorry, the water's running in the shower. I only have time for four questions.").

You don't set up petty rules. That's called being a jerk.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Than Tahoe.

Draft saved Draft deleted