1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erie Times-News early deadline on H.S. football nights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone could confirm a rumor I heard ... the Erie Times-News is now printed offsite and someone told me they have to be off the floor at 9:30 p.m. during high school football season. I can't imagine this is true. Can someone confirm or deny this?

2. If it's true, they can run lots of halftime scores.

3. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I freelanced for a paper that had a 10:30 deadline for stories, and I thought that was awful. If this is true, I would just put all the coverage online.

4. Copyboy1967

Copyboy1967 New Member

Not true. Our deadlines have been altered because of the company's decision to move to an off-site printer, but football Fridays will have a midnight press start. The earliest we're off the floor is 10:05 p.m. Saturdays because of the extra time needed to stuff and deliver the Sunday section.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The last paper I freelanced for a few years ago changed its HS fball deadlines to 10 p.m. I was already thinking of dropping out, but that gave me a real excuse for doing it. Sports editor moved on a couple months later. Don't know what their situation is now, but that was just stupid. Most games I went to ended between 9:30 and 9:45, so the 10 p.m. deadline was ridiculous.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We start season with a midnight page deadline due to heat-related 7:30 p.m. kickoffs and mandated heat breaks.

Works OK.

We'll move that back to 11:45 in October.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some games are just entering the fourth quarter at 10 p.m. here, where everyone almost uniformly runs a spread offense.

Some schools have elected to move kickoff times back to 7 p.m. because games are running long.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

Someone needs to run the Veer offense and kick the living crap out of those wimpy spread teams.

9. writingump

writingump Member

You root for what I was lucky enough to have in my game last week -- a 35-0 shutout in which the clock ran continuously for the last 18:45. Over at 9:36, at a McDonald's less than 30 mins. later and out of there before the 11 p.m. deadline. I suspect I won't be that lucky every Friday night, but one can always hope.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We're working with an 11 p.m. deadline.

Kickoffs used to be at 7:30 p.m. in our area (some still are at schools on the other side of town)...but our area schools shifted up to 7 p.m. starts about 5 years ago and that extra half-hour makes a world of difference.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We normally have a 10 p.m. deadline, but we will give some wiggle room during football. We usually just do a down-and-dirty gamer of about 250 words. We then follow up with an in-depth wrap up in the following edition. We've gotten the routine down to the point that it's hardly an issue.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm hearing rumblings that the Utica, NY, Observer-Dispatch has 9:30ish deadlines this fall. I think they're printed down near Binghamton and need to be off the press before the more-local papers are serviced.

Draft saved Draft deleted