1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eric Rudolph taunts victims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 14, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/14/rudolph.taunts.ap/index.html

I've never cared much for the death penalty, but this makes me understand why so many people think it's necessary.
    Of course, even if this guy did get the death penalty, he'd still be doing this, but he'd be doing it from death row for the next 10-15 years.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This guy is a hero to some.

3. I'm a big First Amendment guy. I'm someone who almost always argues against giving up/allowing others to take away our rights (especially to fight a "war on terror" against those whose whole point is to get us to give up our rights, but I digress).
    However, why can't we strip some rights from inmates?
    Not in all cases, but what is to prevent us from taking away this man's right to send out letter or correspond with anyone except for his lawyer?
    I know it's extreme, but this man's actions call for extreme measures -- and is it truly any more extreme than making people live in a concrete cell?

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Let him spew his hate. He's getting what's coming to him...in this world and the next.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As I have done in other cases in the past, I'll put up the first carton of cigarettes to solve this problem.

6. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Why didn't he get the same swift justice that McVeigh got?

7. I suspect, though I can't prove, that bombing abortion clinics has a few more fans than lighting up a federal building.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

He pled guilty to avoid the death penalty. McVeigh went to trial and left his fate to a jury.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I remember a few years ago, there was a guy in Boston who pled guilty in a federal trial (obviously, it was federal because Mass. doesn't have the death penalty) to killings he committed during a carjacking and he received the death penalty.
    I never knew somebody could still get the death penalty after pleading guilty, I always thought the government would not help somebody commit suicide.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I say they let him out in gen-pop for a week or two.

11. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Rudolph's most visible murder/crime was the Olympic Park bombing.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Incidentally, his cell is right next to and around just about every one of the worst of the worst Arab terrorists involved with the '93 WTC bombings, and Mousoui, and the like. Pretty much some of the most vile and evil human beings in the world are all grouped together at a supermax in Colorado.

Draft saved Draft deleted