1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great, underrated Cream song:

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Click my first link.

We at least agree on one thing.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This x 100.

4. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

He was EVH's biggest guitar influence. The one guy who's solos he had to learn note for note.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw him with The Band in 1974. The Band led off, and Clapton joined them for their encore (I think it was "Stage Fright"). Watching Clapton, Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko standing in row, playing their guitars, was incredible. Unfortunately, Clapton got loaded or even drunker between sets, and was absolutely horrible.

I have his "Greatest Hits" double album from the early 70s (it's all white), and 461 Ocean Boulevard, which is an outstandng album. I cannot listen to 'Tears in Heaven" it makes me cry because I think about how I would feel if that ever happended to my son.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When I see him ranked above Eddie Van Halen or Tony Iommi or Pete Townshend or Brian May on lists of the best guitarists, I want to break things. He was the worst of the Yardbirds' three primary guitarists.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But he's definitely better than EVH.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He made better music. He was not a better guitarist.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

EVH wouldn't last one day in the zombie apocalypse.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're wrong. He's a better player than Page, Iommi and Townshend.
    I think he's a better player than May, but that's venturing into issues of style, approach and versatility. You might have anj argument with May, but I disagree.

Van Halen is definitely different. I prefer Clapton's playing, but clearly Van Halen's technical prowess transcends Clapton's more limited vocabulary.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Page.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I might give you Townshend. Maybe. But there's no way Eric Clapton could have handled Jimmy Page's licks on the more complicated Led Zeppelin songs. They called him "Slowhand," only half-joking. (And yes, I know the actual story about the broken string.)

Draft saved Draft deleted