1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite threads are ones about figures like John Lennon or Bob Dylan, where folks like Starman or Bubbler can really deliver the goods, and there's (in general) no animosity.

So, in the aftermath of the election, let's discus a talented & fascinating rocker.

Tell me what you know about Eric Clapton.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I used to really enjoy Clapton, but at some point he just became boring. I can't remember the last time I listened to him. And having just come across this on the Internet, I'm kinda glad I lost touch.

This is great: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/dec/01/ericclaptonisnotgod

3. YankeeFan

I listened to some of the Clapton-Winwood live album today, so he was on my mind.

The Blind Faith album is a classic, and they're great together live.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's no Phil Lynott.

[​IMG]

5. YankeeFan

You're not helping!

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On the rare occasion I listen to Clapton these days, it's the Derek and the Dominos Layla album. "Bell Bottom Blues" is probably my favorite.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Better?

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Six degrees of Derek Jeter:

http://shagtree.com/connect/derek-jeter-to-eric-clapton

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can't fully explain why, but "Promises" has always been among my very favorite of his songs.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The last 20 years of Eric Clapton have been roughly analogous to what watching Michael Jordan play Nerf basketball with his grandchildren when he's 70 is going to be like.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Clapton from the 60s though Unplugged was monumental. Once he rediscovered electricity, it just wasn't the same. I don't care if he is a serial borrower (as the 2007 piece suggests), he's laid down some of the best riffs in history.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Overrated.

Left the Yardbirds because he didn't want to play pop music. Then proceeded to spend the next 20-plus years releasing some of the most shameless pop pablum on radio. His Unplugged record is one of the limpest ever to win a Grammy.

Was with Cream. Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes. The common thread is that these potentially great bands all had him, and all broke up quickly.

Love the stuff with Cream.

Draft saved Draft deleted