1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eric Allen walks out on Colin Cowherd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Apr 18, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, I know that ... but why this time?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's one thing to take shots at people, but you should at least be able to back it up. Cowherd isn't exactly Mr. Middle America himself. I understand NBC might not need Olbermann's baggage, but Olbermann is a hell of a broadcaster and if you saw him cover election night in 06 ( okay, I know this is a sports site) you would have never guessed that KO was the one with the liberal leanings. Matthews looked more excited about the Dems gains.
    I don't know what Cowherd's deal is - you alienate enough people and word gets around fast. And frankly, Cowherd isn't good enough to be making enemies.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I listened for about five minutes today and he was ranting to a journalist (I don't know who) about why newspapers cover "sports nobody cares about" (his words, not mine...) like the NHL and MLS, but nobody covers mixed martial arts...

He's entitled to his opinion, but listening to him rant was like a fork on a chalkboard...

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

It's Cowherd's belief that nobody cares or watches the NBA either.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I caught the end of that.

He was his usual douchetastic self while bloviating about a topic he doesn't know a damn thing about.

7. Mizzougrad96

I hadn't listened to him in awhile, but I tuned in a few weeks back to see what that asshole would say about the whole thing with The Big Lead. I listened for about 10 minutes and had enough...

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This whole thing was much ado about nothing; Allen walked out in jest after pointing out the Raiders' defense was better than Cowherd insisted it was.

As for Cowherd, I listen most mornings driving the 60 miles into work. Some of what he says is pragmatic and sensible. But as someone artfully pointed out on the "Cowturd" thread, he places way, waaaay too much emphasis on TV ratings to validate a sport.

The one thing that always amuses me is his tendency to say he "covered" someone when he was in Portland/Tampa/Vegas in one breath, then say he's not a journalist in the other. ::)

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, he says over and over again that he's "an entertainer, not a journalist" like that gives him an excuse for acting like a fucking jackass...

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I think I listened that day, if only to answer the question: "How stupid can Cowherd possibly be?"

In fall 2005, post-Katrina, Professor Emeritus Cowherd railed on New Orleans. Said the city was no longer relevant -- ("It does not MATTER. It just DOESN'T," is what I recall the quote to be) -- should not have been rebuilt and that engineers could, and should, re-route the Mississippi River to Los Angeles.

11. jnyce

jnyce New Member

I'm in the minority here, but I am a Cowherd listener. I've heard him say how much he loves Eric Allen, so I'm sure it was much ado about nothing. Any smart person knows Allen is knowledgeable and thinks before he speaks. Not sticking up for the Herd by no means because he's said and done some really odd stuff in the last two weeks. That Sheffield thing was odd as well. He taled a bunch of ISH about him three seconds after Gary hung up. A Sheff/Herd argument would have been good radio.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And a Sheff/Herd cage match would be good PPV. And eliminate another gaseous wind bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted