1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ER 3/12

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That's the only thing that makes sense.
    "Yeah, I'll do it, but I don't want a lot of fanfare over it."

That George. The only good thing to ever come out of Northern Kentucky.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's interesting - I'd heard he was non-committal at doing it at first, which surprised me because he's always spoke of his gratitude to the show - but I do think he worried that they'd overwhelm the show and he didn't want to overshadow anyone else. Read some comments from people saying they were wondering why NBC didn't promote the episode more, and NBC has NEVER been shy about promoting a show as "the most....ever" - heck I don't know if they even mentioned Susan Sarandon and Ernest Borgnine were in the episode. Three Oscars.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Darn, how could I miss that ep? I saw the promos leading up to the show, but they didn't mention Clooney. If Lewis wasn't in it, it wasn't a true reunion. But the last episode I saw was when Luka and Carter were in Zaire (god knows how many years ago that was). I had tried to hang in through the falling helicopter, the utterly pointless marriage between Green and Corday, the conversion of Green's daughter to a spoiled brat, the death of Green, Weaver's change of teams, the constant crises of Abby. But ER turned killing field was the straw that broke the camel's back, along with the "how outlandish can we get" aspect that was creeping in. Maybe I did miss some good stuff by having dropped it the last few years, but I'd like to think I just didn't want to sully my memories of the best first five seasons a TV show ever had.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It's possible they were trying to surprise some folks.

I knew that Clooney and Marguiles were going to be on. Having Benton on was a surprise.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I still get amused when I remember Archie was going to be fired for smoking pot, but the helicopter crushed Romano before he could do the paperwork or tell anybody.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When Clooney made that brief appearance at the end of Marguilies' last show years ago, that was hyped up like crazy. And all he was in was one scene.

Maybe this time, NBC decided to just reward their loyal viewers.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At the end of the previous episode and in the commercials during the week for the show, they said that all your old favorites would be back, but only showed Carter, Benton and Hathaway, they didn't show Ross, so it was a surprise (to me) that he was on.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I actually like being surprised. Doesn't happen much anymore, on this show or others. When Clooney appeared on screeen out of the blue, it made this one of the most memorable episodes.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Clooney's participation on "ER" is when I became a fan. Because when he became the break out star he didn't ask to renegotiate his contract or try to get out of it. His comment was "I signed this contract, I'll abide by it".

That's why Clooney is the only man I'd leave JR for.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there any way Banfield doesn't wind up adopting that baby?

And when Carter returned, did he go to the secret wall and retrieve his nametag?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have not been a fan for the past few years but would catch bits while my wife watched.

I thought the Clooney suprise was great TV and appreciated it coming out of the blue and in a fairly low key manner. I kept expecting him to rush back to Chicago to see Carter but I think the way they handled it was much better.

Clooney is the only person I would give my wife permission to cheat with.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Inky, I immediately thought that about Banfield when I saw the mom leaving the baby. Carter's nametag isn't up on the wall - when Abby left earlier this season, she asked Haleh where Carter's nametag was and Haleh gave an explanation as to why it wasn't up there, something about destroying property ...

Draft saved Draft deleted