1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ER 3/12

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow. I loved tonight's reunion episode.

Shmaltzmeister I am, I cried for about a third of it.

Well, well done.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Cool ending.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this show since sometime in the first season. But I am curious ... did Clooney come back yet?

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Clooney was back tonight.

I kept waiting for Carol/Doug to find out the kidney was going to Carter... oh, well.
    Loved it, though. Funny bit, Benton sticking it to that other doc.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I found Benton/Carter to be very satisfying.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Somebody send me the spoilers, please.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hadn't watched it in a couple of years after being a loyal fan for roughly the first 10 years.. Tonight, I figured, what the heck, the show's almost over, and not knowing any of the storylines (or who the heck are half the people on the show), I decided to watch it. And I was rewarded for it.

Excellent episode, good to see the old cast's return. The Benton/Carter stuff was tremendous. Susan Sarandon also was wonderful as the grieving grandmother.

Also, was that Ernest Borgnine as the old man taking care of his elderly wife? I missed the opening credits.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I didn't get emotional until Benton sat in on Carter's surgery. I got more emotional when Banfield chased the teenage mom out of the hospital, insisting that she was capable of taking care of her baby. At the end, though, I was just about a wreck, and even more so when they showed the previews for next week's episode.

Killick, it just about killed me when Carol told Doug that the kidney went to "some doctor."

I'm glad SOMEONE started an ER thread - thank you! I thought I was the only one left here who cared about the show, which I've watched since I was a freshman in college.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've watched since the first episode. Despite the repeated shark jumps and cast changes, I've kept with it. I still think it's a fine show.

Now somebody send me the spoilers! Did Carter live or not?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

EW.com had an interesting summary that the show almost didn't get off the ground. Don Ohlmeyer didn't like it, but went ahead with it when it tested so well. Everyone thought "Chicago Hope" would end up being the bigger show (but that cast has done pretty well for itself). I stopped watching ER around the time the last of the original cast left. Hell of a show. Fun to take a look at the IMDB listing and seeing how many people were on it before they were big names.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes indeed.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Simon, thank you for starting this thread. I know ER jumped the shark a few times but I stuck with it. For those of you who haven't watched, last season and this season have been excellent. I really think a show's worthiness depends on how much you can care for the characters. And I find that I care for these characters as much as I cared for the original cast characters.

The evolution of Scott Grimes' Archie Morris; John Stamos has brought some star power and a deep and very likable character. Linda Cardellini as Sam -- and Amy Madigan's recent stint as her mother -- also has added some star power. And maybe a breakout star in Parminder Nagra. Angela Bassett -- what more needs to be said?

That they've also managed to bring back the originals in reasonably good story arc -- tonight was a huge payoff.

I never gave up on the show and I've thoroughly enjoyed these last two seasons. Simon, it wasn't just tonight that ER has put a lot of dust in my living room.

Three more episodes to go. I will cherish them. For those of you who haven't seen the last two years, get your hands on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted