1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epstein, Hoyer to Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's not hard to develop. The Indians under Shapiro were the first team in MLB to have one with their proprietary DiamondView, I believe.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alex Speier contradicting the report that the Red Sox want Farrell back.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21149491/source-no-plans-sox-poach-manager

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Epstein has also brought former ESPN columnist Rob Nayer on board as an analyst. I'm assuming this is to fill the role Bill James had in Boston, but I've never seen Nayer say anything very intelligent.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Did he deny the divinity of Jeter or something?

Considering Neyer is a direct protege of James and worked for four years at STATS, there's not much difference in their perspectives.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

All I know is if I were a Cubs fan, I would not be thrilled that Epstein's first move is to hire Rob Neyer.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Drip's sources are better than yours, dude. What a weird rumor to start.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It looks like I whiffed on this one. I completely misread a tweet. Sorry...

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where to even begin?

Isn't it Neyer?
    Isn't this wrong?
    And, uh, you've never SEEN him say anything? Or heard him say anything? Just wondering.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

You mean before Billy Beane stole his most valuable employee and was the first to embrance sabremetrics in a front office? Wait, really? That was in the game before? Damn you Moneyball movie!

10. dmc

dmc Guest

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/25/farewell_red_sox_nation/

If this link does not work, this can be found at boston.com. It is a letter from the former GM. Not the recent "thank you" aad.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Comcast Sportsnet Chicago is pre-gaming this, and streaming it online.

They are streaming online a pre-game for the press conference to introduce an executive.

I love the information age.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What a pile of crap that was.

And Rick, if you can stop hyperventilating long enough over the Messiah's arrival, let me know the last league average fifth starter he managed to unearth for Boston, or the last homegrown position prospect who was anything more than a league average replacement. Hint: He spent over $200 million on John Lackey and Carl Crawford instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted