1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epstein, Hoyer to Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Per Bob Nightengale tweet.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Joint statement:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-theo-epstein-to-join-cubs-resign-from-red-sox-20111021,0,132825.story

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fan-fucking-tastic.

The more I read about Epstein in this situation, the more of a Cubs fanboi boner I get.

He's got a reputation as a stats guy, and that's not really true. He's an analysis guy.

He's not a "screw the scouts, who cares what they say" guy. He's going to hire more scouts, standardize what those scouts are doing across the organization, create a massive database of all the players they scout and then have that database cross-referenced with his statistical analysis, personal information on the player, and video of every pitch/at-bat/play the player was ever involved in.

He's going to turn an organization that still does everything by pen and paper (literally) into one of the most cutting-edge in the game. (and then he's going to ruin all that by overpaying for some toolsy free agent).

fapfapfapfapfap

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

Now get to fucking work.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

ESPN reporting that Ben Cherington is expected to take over as Red Sox GM. Cherington is married to Wendi Nix, so I'd imagine the WWL's source is sold on that one.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, does Theo officially become a baseball god if he helps the Sox and the Cubbies win series?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hey Theo, go home and get your shine box

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Read somewhere in passing that Cherington and Nix split sometime last year. Surely someone here knows the deal.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's see how Theo does without his former's team's proprietary software.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The stuff that he personally commissioned? I'm pretty sure he can commission something comparable.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Let's see how he does without his former team's payroll & revenue stream. Much easier to cover those Dice K/Lackey/Jenks mistake signings with a $165M budget than with a $125M payroll which is what I expect the Ricketts to budget for the next few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted