1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epic song thread.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

'The Wait' is an epic song for moi.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hmm ...

"Kashmir" - Led Zeppelin
    "Court of the Crimson King" - King Crimson
    "Time" - Pink Floyd
    "Re-Jigue" - The Alan Parsons Project
    "Script For A Jester's Tear" - Marillion
    "Beginnings" - Chicago
    "Funeral For A Friend (Love Lies Bleeding)" - Elton John
    "New York State of Mind" - Billy Joel
    "That's The Way of the World" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    "Synchronicity II" - The Police
    "Born To Run" - Bruce Springsteen
    "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon and Garfunkel
    "Jeremy" - Pearl Jam
    "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" - The Temptations
    "Reflections" - Diana Ross and the Supremes
    "What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye
    "Give It All You Got" - Chuck Mangione (1980 Winter Olympics, anyone?)
    "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" - John Williams (1984 Summer Olympics)
    Theme from "Star Wars" - John Williams
    "Mars" - Gustav Holst
    Fourth Movement of Ludvig van Beethoven's Fifth Symphony

Pick any one of two dozen from these guys. Each. And add Stevie Wonder to the multiple entries list. "Ribbon In The Sky," "Lately," "Visions," "Another Star" ... list could (should?) be kinda long. James Taylor doesn't come across as epic, but while many would select "Fire and Rain," I'd go with "Long Ago and Far Away" or "Carolina In My Mind" ... a little biased, of course ...

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My favorite G'N'R song is "Patience." I'm guessing you prefer the harder songs.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Great choices, minus the prog-rock.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

She used to love her heroin, but now she's underground.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

G-n-R were the perfect bridge between hair metal and grunge. I knew from the minute I heard Welcome to the Jungle for the first time in 1988-ish they'd break out of the mold.

Maybe without them, grunge makes an even bigger impact in late '91, maybe on the order of the 1964 British invasion.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

November Rain, Estranged and Don't Cry were all supposed to be one song called November Rain. It was more than half an hour long.

Shockingly, Axl couldn't ever get the song recorded to his liking. So they broke it up into pieces.

Essentially, November Rain and Estranged are the same song. Or two parts of the same song.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I was thinking that too. That's why I split up mine to add a few personal ones.

Not a lot of love for anything released in the last 20 years or so. I guess that pretty much summarizes the current state of music. I thought maybe Biggie would get some love for "Juicy" or maybe 50 for "In da Club" or "21 Questions". Eminem has a bunch of stuff like "Lose Yourself" and "Till I Collapse" that is pretty good. Those guys made pretty big names for themselves.

Oh, this does not have to be for a wedding. Making the playlist just got me thinking about it.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

These types of threads always degenerate into completist masturbation ... as in "I'm going to name every ____ that I can think of, whether it's any good or not."

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up.

Would add to list
    "Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
    "Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
    " Green Grass and High Tides - The Outlaws

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Or the age of the people posting?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Very true to a point, but it's just impossible to keep a list to 10 songs or so.

Include the Beatles, but ignore the Stones, Who, Animals, Hollies, DC5, Yardbirds, Cream, BeeGees and other English bands of that era?

Include Dylan but leave out James Taylor?

Include Springsteen but leave out Bob Seeger?

Include CCR, Doors, Skynard and the Allmans but leave out the Band, or Buffalo Springfield/Byrds/Burritos, who popularized country rock, or the Eagles or even the Guess Who, who made some great music?

Never mind heavy metal, disco, rap, etc., genres I know little about.

Not even mentioning the Police, Clash, Sex Pistols, Pretenders, ELO, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc.

Too many choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted