1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epic song thread.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A song I always thought of in this category is "Chest Fever" by The Band, with the way it slowly builds at the beginning, announcing to you that this is a centerpiece song in their repertoire.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Epic is in the ear of the beholder.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely, that's a great song.

And if I were to pick a Buffalo Springfield song, it might be Bluebird. But there's plenty of great ones from a short period of time.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

New Orleans is Sinking was my introduction to the Hip and what turned me into a fan. Wheat Kings and Nautical Disaster are also solid tunes.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If we're going to throw "Tenacious D" and "epic" in the same sentence, "Wonder Boy" must be apart of that sentence!

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't have any problem with "Wonder Boy" in the same sentence as "epic" and "Tenacious D."

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

"With a little help from my friends" Joe Crocker version
    "Alright now" the Free
    "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Queen
    "Kashmir" LZ
    "Whiskey in the Jar" Metallica version

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You are not alone.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thought of several today.

"Turn the Page" by Bob Seeger. Signature song by one of US rock's icons for the 1970s and 1980s. If not that, then "Beautiful Loser."

"House of the Rising Sun," by the Animals. They lent the grit to the original British Invasion, much of which was pop schlock.

"Stayin' Alive," by the BeeGees. You cannot think of the disco era, lamentable as it may have been, without humming that song.

When I think of Vietname-war era music, I think of "Fortunate Son" by CCR, a working-class protest song.

"Fire and Rain" is an epic song, as is "Chesnut Mare" by the Byrds and, for Canadians, "Canadian Railroad Trilogy."

As big as they were, I don't think the Police or Pretenders have an "epic" song, one that immediately reminds you of a specific musical era.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Long Cool Women in The Black Dress. The Hollies.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree, but Guns 'N' Roses is right there with Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Wonder in producing the best epic songs.

Is it possible you don't like "November Rain" as much because of the overexposure?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't that after Graham Nash had left? I prefer "Look Through Any Window," but no question the Hollies are one of the more underrated bands of the late 1960s. They made outstanding music.

I would also add Boz Scaggs' "Lido Shuffle" from the premier pop album of the mid-1970s.

Draft saved Draft deleted