1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epic minor league hockey coach freakout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Jim Playfair, coach of the Abbotsford Heat, appears to be taking issue with the referee's call. And hockey sticks. And his jacket.

What is it about the Koharski family of refs that inspires unhinged craziness from coaches? At least Jim Playfair didn't tell Jamie Koharski to have another donut.

BONUS: Watch the player to Playfair's left unsuccessfully try to repress his laughter.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think he's just reacting to having to live in Abbotsford. Seriously.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I take it you've spent some time there. One of my least favourite places in the Lower Mainland

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The weirdest thing about that whole Don Koharski donut incident - guess who was Jim Schoenfeld's first defence partner and mentor when he broke in with Buffalo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

True story.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I grew up in North Vancouver (Lynn Valley, to be precise) and my Mom lives in Chilliwack. My first trip to Costco was with my Mom on a Saturday in Abbotsford. A perfect storm of hellishness.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

From Chilliwack? Does your mom say, "HC, you've been gone gone gone, you been gone so long, been gone gone gone so long?"

Sorry.

As penance, here's the Recess Monkeys (SCTV) doing its version:

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Being awful at their jobs, in my experience. (Not saying that excuses it).

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why apologize? That was awesome. :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Pre-Teen World Telethon was fucking hiliarious.

Saw Jamie Koharski ref one game in the OHL and he was horrific, cannot believe anything other than his last name got him to the pros.

I was there for this one, not quite in Playfair's league but was funny to watch:

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn't know Abbotsford had an AHL team?

Furthermore, until this thread, I had never heard of Abbotsford.

Seems kind of funny that now there's no AHL team in Philadelphia, but there is in Abbotsford.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Kinda like we find it funny that there are NHL teams in Phoenix, Tampa, Columbus, Nashville & Atlanta but not in Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec City.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Or Toronto. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted