1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epic. Fail.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 1, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Journey's new lead singer singing "Don't Stop Believing" right now. ::)

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's a Tony Soprano sighting?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sounded fine to me.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The guy can sing. I'm not disputing that.

Problem is, he really came off as someone trying too hard to channel Steve Perry. It's possible that he can't help that, but it sure sounds like he's trying to be Steve Perry v3.0.

And yes, one of my best friends has been told she tries too hard to sound like Stevie Nicks. And she doesn't.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ha. That guy sounds EXACTLY like Perry. It's part of why they chose him. Back when he first joined, there were some videos of him floating around.

That's just his voice.

6. I've heard a lot of griping about the performance, but I didn't see the reason for it. Probably did better than a 60-year-old Perry would have done.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah GQ had a great article about him. You shoulld read it.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

A friend of mine has a DVD of the 'new' Journey. If I closed my eyes, I'd swear it was Perry. Thumbs up for me.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saw a piece about him on CBS Sunday Morning last year. Basically, after "Don't Stop Believing" was featured so prominently in "The Sopranos" finale, the Journey guys decided they should get back together to capitalize on their spike in popularity. Neil Schon found the new guy — who's from The Phillippines — on YouTube.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Last I heard of this guy he was really struggling with his newfound fame and wanted to go back to the Phillipines. Haven't heard any more since. Guess he's had a change of heart?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The money that NBC threw at them probably helped ...

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

This was the last I heard of him.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/19/new-journey-singers-dream-turns-ugly/
    But I guess the money comes in handy.
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=113406

Draft saved Draft deleted