1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Environmental pet peeve

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not looking to start a political thread of any sort here. And I am all for lessening your carbon foot print and taking better care of the world.

However, I'm sure we all have them, what recommended chages just don't make sense to you, or irritate you?

My big environmental pet peeve -- and this probably falls under the TMI category, but I digress, I have put up with them long enough: Low flow toilets. If I have to flush multiple times everytime I go No. 2, am I really saving water consumption?

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Semi-related, there is a relatively new public library in my town with waterless urinals. The library is absolutely beautiful. The bathrooms are overwrought with the stench of stale piss. I suppose there are sacrifices to be made in order to help the environment, but damn, it smells really bad.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A rec centre here that is being renovated is going to the waterless urinals. i had the same thought. Isn't there some sanitary issue with this?

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Our low flow toilet is a power house, we can't plug the thing. It is a Toto so maybe it has something to do with the brand you get.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sorry but that is not a sacrifice you should have to make in a first world country. This isn't fucking Cambodia.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Those new fangled light bulbs- take forever to light up and not as bright. Understand disposal is impossible and worse on environment that regular old bulb.

7. HATE low-flow toilets.
    Hate them.
    When the day comes I have to replace my toilets, I'll buy new ones from Canada.

Low-flow toilet + mexican food + staying the night at my future in-laws house (the house with the newly renovated bathroom) = embarassing disater!

My mother-in-law hasn't served anything closely resembling Mexican food in more than 12 years.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't that an episode of "Married ... With Children"?

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think it was. I think they ended up stealing a toilet from the school or something, because it wasn't low flow. something like that. Only saw the episode once and it was a number of years ago.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You can't get regular flow toilets down south? For that matter I didn't realize we still could up here. I thought we were all just doomed to low flow and I was needing to vent about it.

If I can ever afford to build a house I'll do all sorts of green stuff for it, even install solar panels if the price is right, but low flow toilets are not coming anywhere near my house.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I read something recently about low-flow toilets that said the first-gen ones were terrible but the engineering has caught up with the, uh, challenge now.

12. If it was I'm gonna sue!

I think King of The Hill also had an epiosode on low-flow toilets.

Draft saved Draft deleted