1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry Level Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by baxter, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Rewind to me a year and a half ago coming out of college:
    I'd definitely apply for this job.

Rewind to me six months ago working a news job at a twice-weekly:
    I'd definitely apply for this job.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Looking past the ad, it looks like a 11k circulation paper with a staff that includes a sports editor, sports reporter and page designer/sports writer. So that's a much better landing spot than a TON of jobs that find their way here.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

BrianGriffin, Mark2010 and silvercharm are right.

Who isn't getting sick of seeing every job panned, just to do it, without adding anything to a discussion of the job?

If you don't want the job, don't apply. I won't be doing so. But, it's a job in a time when people are seemingly doing nothing but losing jobs. And, "entry-level" isn't code for anything. The ad is just telling you what it is. There's nothing wrong with that.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The man above me speaks the truth.

Next time anyone wants to thumb their nose at an entry-level position, why don't you provide a job that's better? That might help our dying little profession more than what you're doing.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reading birdscribe's post, I would have loved a sport like this to get started way back when. Looks like a place where, if one sets his mind to it, someone can get a lot of good clips and move on in a year or so. Yes, it might mean working hard, but nowadays more than ever, nothing's going to be handed to you in this business.

I'm reminded of a year or so ago when a listing was posted in Yuma and people were making similar comments about having to get an AZ driver's license. If getting a new license, or relocating to central Arkansas, is that much of a dealbreaker, ask yourself if you're really interested in advancing in this business.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Speaking of "mistakes in the posting"...

If you're not interested in entry level, don't bother to clink the link. Don't open it hoping to find something to criticize. (And if you do, at least proof your own post before insulting the mistakes others make.)

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm in complete agreement with everyone saying "stop panning an entry level job." Sure, I wouldn't take it. I imagine few of the regular posters on this board would. But it's a good chance for a kid, and believe it or not, there are actually people who live in Arkansas. In addition, for all the things Gannett is poor at, promoting from within the company is one of its strengths.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone could also have a great time with all the outdoorsy stuff. Reminds me of my first job, where I played golf at a different course every morning and worked at the paper the rest of the day and night. Yep, I worked a lot of hours and didn't make sh*t. But now, a zillion years later, I remember the lifestyle more than any of the small-paper frustrations. Sheesh, if you're fresh outta school, unattached and like fresh air, get on this and enjoy yourself.

9. NWArkDude

NWArkDude New Member

I can probably help anyone with information on this job. I have a friend or two that have worked there. Just send me a message.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is Mountain Home in a dry county? Is Moonshine available?

11. NWArkDude

NWArkDude New Member

Baxter County is wet AND I bet you can still find moonshine there as well!

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Promoting WAS one of Gannett's strengths. Now if a position opens up, they just leave it empty. Unless it's for another vice president in corporate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.