1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry Level Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by baxter, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baxter

baxter New Member

The Baxter Bulletin in Mountain Home, AR, an award-winning six-day daily newspaper, has an immediate opening for a full-time entry-level sports reporter.

Mountain Home is in north-central Arkansas in the heart of the Ozarks, nestled between Norfork and Bull Shoals lakes, with beautiful surroundings and hunting, fishing, boating, skiing, hiking, canoeing and biking in its backyard.

The Baxter Bulletin is owned by Gannett Co. Inc. and offers many opportunities for career advancement as well as competitive pay and a benefit package including health insurance, paid vacation, 401k and more.

Requirements
    *Strong reporting and writing skills
    *Ability to use a digital camera and be a mobile journalist filing stories from remote locations
    *Knowledge of AP style
    *A degree in journalism or English is helpful
    *Aggressive, self-starter
    *Strong computer and typing skills
    *Ability to work a flexible schedule
    *Valid driver's license and proof of auto insurance
    *Ability to make the job yours

[Closed]

The Baxter Bulletin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Woo boy. I get excited when the job title states "entry level" and lists strong typing skills and valid license as requirements.

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Entry level is, what, $8 an hour? Suh-weet.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't wear a Florida hat if you go to an Arkansas game.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Can't imagine you'd be covering any.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Well, this is an award-winning place. Does "making the job yours" mean working 70 hours a week and making 18k?

7. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Then don't apply. Do you guys have to be snarky about every job opening? There are some postings, yes, that cry out for sarcasm. But this appears to be a bona fide job for a first-time writer. So give it a rest.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What kind of kid out of college would relocate for this job? I know people tend to be pessimistic, but they have a right to be: it's BS. "Entry level" is code for "we don't pay much at all."

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A recent grad of Arkansas? A recent grad of Arkansas State? A recent grad of Arkansas-Pine Bluff? A recent grad of UALR? A recent grad of Memphis? A recent grad of Missouri State? Aren't all these schools close to this place?

I mean, just because a job isn't tailored to your needs, doesn't mean it needs to be panned.

Having said that, I do think Baxter should have titled the thread something like "Sports writer, Mountain Home, Ark." There are a LOT of jobs like this on this board and the only reason this one is getting disproportionately panned is the title thread, IMO.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Definitely what made me open it and read to see how the mistakes in the posting. I was the first to make a snarky comment and the thread title is what motivated me.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

What silvercharm and BG said.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sheesh, give it a rest.

What was your first job after college? If you were lucky enough to land a top tier job at a major metro at age 21, more power to you. Not everyone does. The vast majority of working journalists start out at places like this, covering HS and little league. If it's not for you, fine. But don't pan someone for listing a legitimate job posting that might be what somewhat else is looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.