1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry-level sports reporter @ Michigan newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CubReporters, Feb 15, 2009.

1. CubReporters

CubReporters New Member

from http://cubreporters.org/labels/sports_journalism

The Alpena News, an 11,000-circulation daily newspaper in Northern Michigan, is seeking an entry-level sports writer. See above link for more info.

2. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

I heard this job has already been filled. It was posted for the past month on the Michigan Press Association Web site.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That was quick since some interviews were still supposed to be going on next week. It's an Ogden paper, which generally means you will be getting around $20-21k per year.

If I'm mistaken about the pay, please let me know.

4. bronzie5

bronzie5 New Member

This is my old job. The pay earlier was correct, but it's a cheap place to live. I found a tiny place that was $335 a month and included utilities. Landlord was great, too.
    There are nine area schools to cover with the focus on Alpena. You will have to design the pages (B1-B3) when the editor is off. So those with design experience will be a plus because the training will be a lot quicker. Plus, the sports editor ranks up there with one the best bosses of my life.
    I hear they may have someone, but you never know once pay is mentioned. Also don't expect a raise for at least a year.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anything new here?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nope... Alpena's still boring...

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Job has been filled, but I don't know whom it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted